Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Chair Mountain Info

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Re: Chair Mountain Info

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 pm

I don't know how these things resurface, and how I get talked into them.
But I'm looking into doing this climb on Sunday, probably starting on a climbers trail near Bogan Flats. Does anyone have any information they can add to what's been said?
Thanks!
Anybody interested?

Postby Floyd » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 am

cheeseburglar wrote:I don't know how these things resurface, and how I get talked into them.
But I'm looking into doing this climb on Sunday, probably starting on a climbers trail near Bogan Flats. Does anyone have any information they can add to what's been said?
Thanks!
Anybody interested?

I can't believe you picked this weekend to try this! Any other time, I'd be there in a second. If you go, I'd greatly appreciate some information.

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Once again I am scheming to climb Chair Mountain.
Might start early Sunday morning if anyone is interested.

Postby iceman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:17 pm

What kind of conditions are you expecting up there? Weather is calling for rain and snow in Carbondale tonight through Sunday. Snowshoes, crampons, skis :shock: ? I still want to get up there, but I'm not sure this weekends weather would work for a climber at my level.

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Iceman,
I've got a friend who is going to Marble and is supposed to take a look up there and call me.
I expect it will be bad to miserable...
Probably not enough snow to take skis. Maybe not enough to bother with snowshoes. Definately crampons and ice axe and I think we'll have a rope and a little bit of rock gear. The ridge is supposed to be Class 3 or 4 but with snow it might be bad.
We might change plans. And if we go we may not see the summit!
But it should be fun, funny or both.

Edit- the route we are considering starts at Bogan Flats and is close to 5,000 vertical. We might need a machete. I think we can completely avoid private property. But there might be some serious bushwhacking!

Re:

Postby OBC13 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Kane wrote:If your commited to climbing it from down there, I think the best way is to get permission from the Genter Mine. There's a trail that begins on their property that ascends up the steep slope that leads to Chair Basin. Otherwise your looking at an evil :twisted: class 5 bushwhack for 2,000-ft.

When I was over there staying at a place in that area, the owners said that they thought there was a trail that started near the mine. It would presumably take you west from there and provide an easier access to Chair Basin than via the lower portion of Chair Creek, which looks pretty steep.
OBC13

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:16 pm

OBC13 wrote:
Kane wrote:If your commited to climbing it from down there, I think the best way is to get permission from the Genter Mine. There's a trail that begins on their property that ascends up the steep slope that leads to Chair Basin. Otherwise your looking at an evil :twisted: class 5 bushwhack for 2,000-ft.

When I was over there staying at a place in that area, the owners said that they thought there was a trail that started near the mine. It would presumably take you west from there and provide an easier access to Chair Basin than via the lower portion of Chair Creek, which looks pretty steep.

Thanks! I need to look into that. Brittete told me there is a trail and she has used it to access backcountry skiing up in the Chair Basin. The key might be to find the trail and get permission.

Postby iceman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:01 am

Good luck. Would love to see a trip report on this one.

Postby timd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17 am

Last I heard there is no public access to Chair mountain. That mountain is surrounded on all sides by private land. i would take previous advice and ask land owners for permission. Keep us posted on your progress as I have wanted that mountain for a long time.

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Here is a legal way to get up Chair Mt, join the CMC and sign up in a hurry, we don't have enough people for the trip right now
:(
http://www.cmc.org/trip/TripScheduleView.aspx?TripScheduleID=14867&returnurl=%2ftrip%2ftripsearch.aspx
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby iceman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 pm

I'd love to join up and go along, but my club member dues budget has been exceeded and I am not allowed to join any more clubs. :?

Previous