Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Chair Mountain Info

Information on peaks other than the CO 14ers and 13ers.

Chair Mountain Info

Postby iceman » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:16 am

Does anybody have any route and difficulty info on Chair Mountain near Marble?

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:42 am

Kane has a good page over at Summitpost:
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/216987/chair-mountain.html

Looks sweet!!

- Chris

Postby iceman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks for the link Chris. Any other info would be appreciated.

Postby Yikes » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:18 am

yeah, that one has been on my wish list for a long time. i tried from mcclure, but turned around at the No Trespassing signs.

I know there is a book that describes a route from the bottom of the pass (near the turnoff to Marble), but I can't remember what book that was (something like Hiking the Colorado High Peaks?). I roughly remember that the route starts a 1/4 mile (?) down the road towards marble, something about a stable and then hiking up towards a mine. How's that for detailed directions.

;)

Postby ktimm » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:37 am

I think reading Kane's page on SP that there is private property issues. I believe there is also info on http://www.climb.mountains.com/Classic_ ... /Chair.htm

I walked around Mcclure as well and ran into Private property signs. I've heard some conflicting reports on those from the locals.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:58 am

Sorry I don't have more info... it's been on my list for a long time too, but I haven't climbed it yet. It seems like access from the McClure/Marble side is problematic at best. I've been considering an approach from the Dark Canyon side and making a long weekend of it... backpack in, set up camp and spend several days hitting all the cool stuff up there in the Raggeds.

- Chris

Postby iceman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks all. I was thinking about this weekend, but I wil probably have to dig a little deeper to avoid any private property issues. Maybe next year.

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:26 am

I was in Marble yesterday and got to look at Chair Mountain. It is very tempting and has been for a while.
Roach's east ridge route sounds pretty good.
You can track down landowners from your computer these days. Parcel ownership is on the web. For Gunnison County it is:
http://gis.gunnisoncounty.org/stable/mainpage.asp
It looks like there are at least three or four separate landowners if you attempted the Chair Creek access route!
Let me know if I can tag along. I'd be willing to help contact landowners.

Postby iceman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:22 pm

That would be great Cheeseburglar. Let me know what you find out or if you need any help. A group of us from Glenwood are planning a bike/camp/hike/climb for this weekend if we can get access.

Postby Kane » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Chris Gerber wrote:Sorry I don't have more info... it's been on my list for a long time too, but I haven't climbed it yet. It seems like access from the McClure/Marble side is problematic at best. I've been considering an approach from the Dark Canyon side and making a long weekend of it... backpack in, set up camp and spend several days hitting all the cool stuff up there in the Raggeds.

- Chris

Hi Chris,

How would you climb Chair from Dark Canyon? Were you thinking of trying that ridge between Ragged and Chair? To bad you would have to run that same ridge back to your start up point. Its a long ridge, it's something like 2.5 miles and 5 miles RT.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:36 pm

Kane wrote:
Chris Gerber wrote:Sorry I don't have more info... it's been on my list for a long time too, but I haven't climbed it yet. It seems like access from the McClure/Marble side is problematic at best. I've been considering an approach from the Dark Canyon side and making a long weekend of it... backpack in, set up camp and spend several days hitting all the cool stuff up there in the Raggeds.

- Chris

Hi Chris,

How would you climb Chair from Dark Canyon? Were you thinking of trying that ridge between Ragged and Chair? To bad you would have to run that same ridge back to your start up point. Its a long ridge, it's something like 2.5 miles and 5 miles RT.

Yeah... ever since you posted that photo of that ridge, I've been..um...drawn to it :) Not sure how feasible it would be though, as it looks really long and really exposed. With the typical West Elks loose rock it may be a nightmare.

Edit: You talking Ragged Peak or Ragged Mtn? I was thinking of climbing into the Deep Creek basin (which in and of itself may be a nightmare) and camping near the lakes at 11,100'. From there you could do Ragged Mountain as a day trip and then Ragged Peak as a day trip (assuming there are viable routes up each). The traverse from Ragged Peak to Chair looks to be about 1.7 miles each way, and could still be heinous.

Postby gb » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:53 pm

We were pretty sure that this is a photo of Chair from Treasury mountain, taken 3 weeks ago. Anybody want to confirm?

Chair is a stunning mountain from Marble. And a good name, too, I can definitely picture Zeus sitting on that chair.

Next