Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sorting Capability for Trip Reports

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Re: Sorting Capability for Trip Reports

Postby dsunwall » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am

I've always felt trip reports should be divided into 2 categories, beta and entertainment. You could write one or the other or both. If both, link them somehow. This way you wouldn't have to wade through endless wordiness and photos to find the beta. Setup by Bill would be required and existing reports may not sort well.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:46 pm

I find I use the search function a lot, and its pretty good. You can use the pull down to find reports by a certain peak if its about 13k, or you can search by member name by a similar pull down. For peaks that don't have a name listed on the pull down, you can type peak names into the blank search bar (Other Peak/Place Name) which is really useful for peaks under 13k, or even for TRs that have more than 5 peaks if the author has written the peak name anywhere in the body of the text (Search for text in TRs).

This is really useful if you are looking for a certain peak, but of course doesn't help you see only the "good" ones on the front page.

I don't think "views" would be very useful in that regard, as popularity of a peak = popularity of a TR. You could have a really good TR get hardly any views because its some obscure mountain only a select few have heard of or have interest in, while a mundane TR of a popular peak could have 5 or 6 times as many "views" because of non-registered members looking for conditions on a popular peak.

"Likes" could be useful to some extent, but sometimes can be a reflection of popularity, either peak or member.

Its difficult to get a list of only the "good" ones, partly because people's idea of "good" is going to vary. It may be possible to set up a "featured" TR group at the top of page 1, maybe by some sort of combination of views, likes and comments so that something that was really interesting to a large number of people could stay on page 1 for a few days rather than having a crop of new TRs bump it to page 2 before its potential audience has had a chance to read it?

Personally I appreciate the "beta" reports over the entertainment ones, but that is mainly because I don't have as much time to read them all as I would like. A lot of times I am not logged in when I read them, so I don't always "like" or comment on them as often as maybe I should, don't take for a lack of appreciation! Some of you are far more diligent about documenting your travels than I am, and its fun to see your names on LOJ knowing your TR is soon to follow here, keep it up!

I barely have time to write to them and am very selective about what I write up over the last few years. I try and write only if there is either no TR about the peak at all, or if its a route/combo that has not been previously posted. I pretty much have time for work and outdoor pursuits, so it feels like any time I spend writing TRs is just time not spent climbing! I am glad to see people find them useful and I know there is a group that finds what I post interesting and informative. I don't expect any of my TRs to get a whole lot of views or even likes because I know I write about the lessor traveled peaks, but that is also exactly why I write the TRs that I do, to hopefully provide some information on those for others that are interested.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby nkan02 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:What's interesting is that, for the most part, the number of page views doesn't necessarily correlate with likes/comments. I'm already rambling though, so I suppose that's a discussion for another day.

I noticed the same thing - maybe the page views are more reflective of the "usefullness" of the report? to a certain degree? I was shocked to see that my Elbert ski TR with 9k visitors warranted only 7 comments, while the Jupiter/Weminuche one, with less than 1,5k visitors - 17 comments.

Furthemore, Otina - please keep writing your TRs. They have fantastic beta and a cult following :wink: . Most of the peaks you climb may not be on the radar (yet) for some people, but it doesn't mean they stay that way in the future.

Postby d_baker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 pm

I try to put pertinent info at the start of my reports (e.g., stats and starting points -- but primarily resources I used to help me with my trip planning).
Whatever falls after may or may not be useful to some.
But I write my reports for both sharing the experience with friends and partners, and to hopefully provide inspiration to others.

I understand the point of view of trying to find the report that has the info you're looking for. If one doesn't spend a lot of time on the site keeping track of reports and the writers, then I imagine it's a daunting task to sift through 100 or so reports of some of the more popular 14ers. If that's the info one is looking for, seems like going to Bill's descriptions would fill that need.

Postby Ridge runner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 pm

This doesn't really have anything to do with most of the previous posts, but how about being able to search by part of a member's name? For example, I can never remember if it's lordhelmet or lordhelmut, if Chicago Transplant is one word or two, if it's papillion or papilon or papillon or pepperoni.... you get the idea. But being able to search by part of a username name would be kinda nice (ex: lord, chicago, papi, etc.).

Postby d_baker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Ridge runner wrote:This doesn't really have anything to do with most of the previous posts, but how about being able to search by part of a member's name? For example, I can never remember if it's lordhelmet or lordhelmut, if Chicago Transplant is one word or two, if it's papillion or papilon or papillon or pepperoni.... you get the idea. But being able to search by part of a username name would be kinda nice (ex: lord, chicago, papi, etc.).

I like this idea. (I've had the same problem!)
And, it's definitely pepperoni.

Postby kimo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 am

Furthermore wrote:Sometimes I feel writing all of those reports is a thankless job.

When we research what are known as "obscure peaks" on 14ers.com, there is one common thread to them all: either you, or a small list of others on this site have posted a trip report for them. And for that I thank you and others who seek the less traveled route on less traveled mountains and take the time to post their adventures, regardless if it's meant for beta or entertainment. I don't always click "like" or comment...across the board I do that a lot less these days than I used to, but believe me, I still appreciate it. These things take a lot of time to produce.

lordhelmut wrote:I guess the underlying factor to all of this is...if the trip meant enough to you, show it in the TR.
Its like that scene in "Walk the Line"...would you sing somethin' different. Somethin' real. Somethin' *you* felt...

Good analogy. However, these days, it's the trips that mean the most that I have the hardest time writing about. It used to flow easy when all of this was new, but now that the mountains have become an old friend, I can't find the words to describe the deeply affecting experience. And if I can't do something with passion, I just won't do it.

I feel I've become burned out by the influence of social media on life in general and this is my emotional response to it. I'm a very private person, and typically keep my thoughts to myself. I really stepped outside my boundaries on 14ers.com but I'm slowly creeping back in. In this "share everything with your peers" world, there are some things that I just want to keep to myself.

All the above has nothing to do with sorting by likes...so my apologies to the OP. Personally, I would probably never use the function if Bill included it.

Previous