Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Forum Organization Sucks

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Re: The Forum Organization Sucks

Postby jaymz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:55 pm

To his credit, nobody else has really been able to figure this site out either. Unless you count everybody.

Postby JROSKA » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Nice post. Your tone (which I would lose if I were you) reflects the entitlement mentality so prevalent in today's society. You expect people to cater to your needs, get irritated when that doesn't happen, and will be quick to blame others when things go wrong for you. I can tell that about you without even knowing you. It reminds me of last year, when some guy posted an angry thread, scolding 14ers.com members for not providing prompt and accurate TH conditions updates. Basically he was angry that a storm washed out part of the road leading to a TH, and felt the need to lash out at the masses on 14ers.com for his misfortune.

It's nobody's duty to make things more convenient for you. This website has tons of relevant information, and many members here spend valuable time from their busy lives adding to that information, trying to keep it up to date. So you have to push a few buttons, and go to a few different screens, to pull it all in. Deal with it. Try to appreciate what this great website does have to offer. Don't make demands though. Nobody here owes you anything.

Postby zdero1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 pm

speth wrote:[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think the forum is good? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong. I only joined up because a friend of mine told me about this site and apparently lied to me about supposed good forum layout. I didn't want to register but I felt like I had to say something about this, I mean, you guys were were posting sporadically and/or not logically and using some pretty flawed logic to do it :wft: . Nice attempt at discrediting me though =D> , maybe next time? Actually, I'm with whoever, I'm done with this ship of fools so there will be no next time :-D . Out of large number replies, there are small number that are actually from good people with good intentions ](*,) . That means that roughly small number out of large number of you are exactly what whoever said you were :lol: . Maybe you guys need some time to reflect on your inhuman ridiculousness :-k .

Srsly, Speth? Rangerguy? LOL

Postby jdorje » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:36 pm

Damn you, Bill Middlebrook.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby klinger » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:10 pm

this is my dog Chloe and we approve of this thread albeit conceived in blasphemy.

speth's rant is particularly choice, certainly eclipsing the original in every way especially entertainment...
Last edited by klinger on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby ameristrat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Should have known... first day of summer. ](*,)
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby jdorje » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:30 pm

dhaines wrote:Let's say you're interested in the spring conditions in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Where do you look?

To answer your question: in the search bar. One complaint I do have is that different areas do not have uniform searching; you cannot search between trip reports, forum posts, and conditions reports from the same page.

Edit: this isn't a major complaint, since google/etc index the entire site just fine.
Last edited by jdorje on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 pm

dhaines wrote:There's a TON of useful information on 14ers/13ers.com sites, but it's impossible to find or post.

Let's say you're interested in the spring conditions in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Where do you look? Obviously, there's no 14er's in IPWA, so where? There's four somewhat obvious choices - 13ers, Ski/Ride the CO Peaks, Other Colorado Peaks, and Trailhead Roads and Camping. So where do I look to see if 1) the trail/gate is open and 2) what the conditions are? I have to look in all four.

But what's even more fascinating is that if you go to the 13ers.com site, you'll find different forums and different posts. There's really good discussion about the current conditions in IPWA but, none of it shows up on 14ers. So I ask myself why does 13/14er's seem to have a connection, but not really. If 14er's is really about 14er's why do they discuss other things?

I've tried to use the site, and as an "user" I've had some success about finding out about things before I head out. But as a contributor, the site completely sucks and is useless to me. I've tried and tried to post photos and links, but it just doesn't work out.

Can the forumns please be reogranzied into geographic areas and trailheads?

Would you like for us to carry you up the peak, too, you ungrateful soul? Get lost.
Go get it

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:46 am

dhaines wrote:But as a contributor, the site completely sucks and is useless to me.

Well, you got that part right: As a contributor, it is useless to you. To be an effective contributor to this site - and hence, not suck - one must first have something useful, or - at the very least - amusing, worth contributing.

Here's my contribution for this thread...

Ahhh... the first day of summer! Always a delight on the forums. I expect we'll see more of this in the coming months.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:59 am

dhaines wrote:But as a contributor, the site completely sucks and is useless to me. I've tried and tried to post photos and links, but it just doesn't work out.

I love summer! Nice rant - it made my morning. :lol: In case you're not just trolling, I'll try to offer some assistance...

dhaines wrote:So where do I look to see if 1) the trail/gate is open and 2) what the conditions are? I have to look in all four.

Here's what you're probably looking for but couldn't find it: Peak Planning Console (PPC) Get there by clicking the PPC link next to each peak name on the left of the home page or look in the site menus

dhaines wrote:Can the forumns please be reogranzied into geographic areas and trailheads?

Try looking at all the site content instead of the just the forum. Like the PPC, route pages also link together information related to a peak/area including TRs, condition reports, trailheads and weather
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Hungry Jack » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:26 am

Wow. I did not realize my two year old knew how to post here, let alone start a thread.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Tim A » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:31 am

You guys all know not to feed bears, yet you continue to feed the trolls who wander in from the wilds. It's no wonder they return over and over again, we've conditioned them to associate 14ers members with food.

Advocating a summer policy of letting the mountain trolls wander in, sniff around, and then wander off to summit post looking for sustenance.

PreviousNext