Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Forum Organization Sucks

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

The Forum Organization Sucks

Postby dhaines » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 pm

There's a TON of useful information on 14ers/13ers.com sites, but it's impossible to find or post.

Let's say you're interested in the spring conditions in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Where do you look? Obviously, there's no 14er's in IPWA, so where? There's four somewhat obvious choices - 13ers, Ski/Ride the CO Peaks, Other Colorado Peaks, and Trailhead Roads and Camping. So where do I look to see if 1) the trail/gate is open and 2) what the conditions are? I have to look in all four.

But what's even more fascinating is that if you go to the 13ers.com site, you'll find different forums and different posts. There's really good discussion about the current conditions in IPWA but, none of it shows up on 14ers. So I ask myself why does 13/14er's seem to have a connection, but not really. If 14er's is really about 14er's why do they discuss other things?

I've tried to use the site, and as an "user" I've had some success about finding out about things before I head out. But as a contributor, the site completely sucks and is useless to me. I've tried and tried to post photos and links, but it just doesn't work out.

Can the forumns please be reogranzied into geographic areas and trailheads?

Re: The Forum Organization Sucks

Postby DeTour » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Personally, I'd say the organization of your post kinda sucks. And your spelling sucks too by the way. Oh, and tact - your tack sucks too.
when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow, Bill, you weren't able to achieve absolute perfection! You weren't able to place every bit of possible information someone might want to know about a mountain retrievable on the first query they run. Damm! :cussing:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Wow, Bill, you weren't able to achieve absolute perfection! You weren't able to place every bit of possible information someone might want to know about a mountain retrievable on the first query they run. Damm! :cussing:

He sure is an a**hole, that Bill.

Postby jaymz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm

dhaines wrote: There's really good discussion about the current conditions in IPWA but, none of it shows up on 14ers...

... If 14er's is really about 14er's why do they discuss other things?

:-k

Postby summitstep » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:21 pm

If 14er's is really about 14er's why do they discuss other things?

Pretty arrogant posting. If we didn't talk about other things we wouldn't get to talk about you. Sounds like you pondered IPW after too many IPAs. If you have that much trouble navigating the site, maybe you shouldn't be out in the wilderness. You don't need us; just close your eyes, click your heels and say "there's no place like........(fill in whatever you want) and you can be in your happy place. Then post a TR; we'd love to not read it.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby TehWoopig » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:22 pm

dhaines wrote:There's a TON of useful information on 14ers/13ers.com sites, but it's impossible to find or post.

Let's say you're interested in the spring conditions in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Where do you look? Obviously, there's no 14er's in IPWA, so where? There's four somewhat obvious choices - 13ers, Ski/Ride the CO Peaks, Other Colorado Peaks, and Trailhead Roads and Camping. So where do I look to see if 1) the trail/gate is open and 2) what the conditions are? I have to look in all four.

But what's even more fascinating is that if you go to the 13ers.com site, you'll find different forums and different posts. There's really good discussion about the current conditions in IPWA but, none of it shows up on 14ers. So I ask myself why does 13/14er's seem to have a connection, but not really. If 14er's is really about 14er's why do they discuss other things?

I've tried to use the site, and as an "user" I've had some success about finding out about things before I head out. But as a contributor, the site completely sucks and is useless to me. I've tried and tried to post photos and links, but it just doesn't work out.

Can the forumns please be reogranzied into geographic areas and trailheads?

If you don't like it, don't come here.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Is it really that hard to find the 3000000 threads in the last two months asking questions about the Indian Peaks?

The only logical question I've had about the forum organization is why there arent separate subforums for each 14er, unless the reason is not wanting to have 50something new forums...which I understand.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby DanielL » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Wow, really?

Postby speth » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 pm

[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think the forum is good? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong. I only joined up because a friend of mine told me about this site and apparently lied to me about supposed good forum layout. I didn't want to register but I felt like I had to say something about this, I mean, you guys were were posting sporadically and/or not logically and using some pretty flawed logic to do it :wft: . Nice attempt at discrediting me though =D> , maybe next time? Actually, I'm with whoever, I'm done with this ship of fools so there will be no next time :-D . Out of large number replies, there are small number that are actually from good people with good intentions ](*,) . That means that roughly small number out of large number of you are exactly what whoever said you were :lol: . Maybe you guys need some time to reflect on your inhuman ridiculousness :-k .
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby Doug Shaw » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 pm

You have to go into the User Control Panel and check the "subscriber" check box, which causes Bill to hire scantily clad servants to come feed you peeled grapes and coolly fan you with palm fronds while they look up your information using the search function, which they then read to you in a sultry voice.

If you haven't done that yet, I highly suggest it. It's probably the best user interface improvement made here in a long time. I was about to give up on the site for a while, but that's really kept my interest alive.

Next