Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Icon for Night Climbs

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Re: Icon for Night Climbs

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 am

ameristrat wrote:You're just upset you couldn't join us!

+1,000,000,000,000
"Mountains seem to answer an increasing imaginative need in the West. More and more people are discovering a desire for them, and a powerful solace in them. At bottom, mountains, like all wildernesses, challenge our complacent conviction - so easy to lapse into - that the world has been made for humans by humans. Most of us exist for most of the time in worlds which are humanly arranged, themed and controlled. One forgets that there are environments which do not respond to the flick of a switch or the twist of a dial, and which have their own rhythms and orders of existence. Mountains correct this amnesia. By speaking of greater forces than we can possibly invoke, and by confronting us with greater spans of time than we can possibly envisage, mountains refute our excessive trust in the man-made. They pose profound questions about our durability and the importance of our schemes. They induce, I suppose, a modesty in us."
― Robert Macfarlane

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:08 am

Upstate Hiker wrote:Don't listen to them Teddy. They're just jealous that they didn't pioneer the newest trendiest 14er list. Its all fun and games until I'm first to complete all the 14ers under the cover of darkness and get featured in Alpinist.

haha nice :-D You beat me to it - so how does one count a "nighttime ascent?" Summit in the dark? Star? End? start and end?
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.
I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
To me there is only one style of climbing, Alpine Style.

Postby Upstate Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 am

Jeff is just worried the Moonlight Marauders will become more popular than the Brat Pack. Keep fighting the good fight!

Postby SnowAlien » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 am

If you did not sleep on the summit - it did not count. :-"

Postby ameristrat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 am

still counts.jpg
still counts.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 200 times
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Upstate Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 am

nkan02 wrote:If you did not sleep on the summit - it did not count. :-"

We aren't talking about the 3 mile high club.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:28 am

SurfNTurf wrote:Mr. ameristrat, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby I Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 am

nkan02 wrote:If you did not sleep on the summit - it did not count. :-"

I hear you were at RNJ 1 last night - how come you didn't come say hi??? :-D
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.
I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
To me there is only one style of climbing, Alpine Style.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 am

Full moon hikes are a lot of fun, even better with snow. Its cool to see the moon sparkling in the snowflakes. It would be cool to see what night hikes people have done to get ideas for future night climbs! So far just Grays and Humboldt for me, the moon reflecting in South Colony Lake was awesome, I highly recommend putting Humboldt on your night hike to-do list :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:44 am

The icon should include the phase of the moon, as a full moon hike up bierdstat is nowhere near as core as a new moon climb.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 am

Chicago Transplant wrote:Full moon hikes are a lot of fun, even better with snow. Its cool to see the moon sparkling in the snowflakes. It would be cool to see what night hikes people have done to get ideas for future night climbs! So far just Grays and Humboldt for me, the moon reflecting in South Colony Lake was awesome, I highly recommend putting Humboldt on your night hike to-do list :-D

The stars are just unbelievable in the Sangres and San Juans. When I see the night sky in the southern mountains it makes me feel so small. I doubt people even realize all those stars are there when they live in cities for a long time.

I bet Humboldt is awesome!!
"Mountains seem to answer an increasing imaginative need in the West. More and more people are discovering a desire for them, and a powerful solace in them. At bottom, mountains, like all wildernesses, challenge our complacent conviction - so easy to lapse into - that the world has been made for humans by humans. Most of us exist for most of the time in worlds which are humanly arranged, themed and controlled. One forgets that there are environments which do not respond to the flick of a switch or the twist of a dial, and which have their own rhythms and orders of existence. Mountains correct this amnesia. By speaking of greater forces than we can possibly invoke, and by confronting us with greater spans of time than we can possibly envisage, mountains refute our excessive trust in the man-made. They pose profound questions about our durability and the importance of our schemes. They induce, I suppose, a modesty in us."
― Robert Macfarlane

Postby Chicago Transplant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 am

So true Silver Lynx, when I first moved here I was like "so that is what stars are supposed to look like!" - the light pollution in Chicago drowned all except the very brightest ones completely out, so much more depth in the night sky without all that man-made light interfering. 8)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

PreviousNext