Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Legal question

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Legal question

Postby habaceeba » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but can we, from a legal and moral standpoint post images taken from Nat Geo TOPO! and other copyrighted material?

Re: Legal question

Postby Iguru » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Don't know for sure, but I think that as long as you are not profiting monetarily from such posting/copying there is no legal issue.
Hopefully you will get a more professional answer to your question.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Site Administrator

Re: Legal question

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:10 pm

habaceeba wrote:Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but can we, from a legal and moral standpoint post images taken from Nat Geo TOPO! and other copyrighted material?

Each software company can have a difference End User Agreement (EUA). For NatGeo, I'm pretty sure it still reads that an end-user (not using them for commercial use, as Iguru previously stated) can post some images on the Internet as long as you add in the appropriate NatGeo copyright and link to their site - similar to what you'll see at the bottom of the maps page when viewing a 14ers.com route description.

Check the EUA for the software you're using. Sometimes it can be very confusing and some companies don't provide very good clarity as it relates to the Internet.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine