Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourteenerworld.com

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Re: Fourteenerworld.com

Postby George James » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 pm

There's (even) more trip reports there coming from experienced individuals that you can add on top of the great info here & draw from to formulate your plan of attack. It's another good resource and I'll probably sign up someday, though I'm afraid that many of those folks take themselves a little too seriously, and I would certainly not fit in with a group like that...

...and some people just can't be bothered with the inexperienced, less traveled adventurer...too many checklists to have any time for that. It's seems to me to be a general trend in the outdoor community, at least down here on the front range, that I see often.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:30 pm

We have a good forum here. User friendly and highly informative. I go to Summitpost only to compliment or supplement the fine efforts the folks here provide in advance. Bill put much time into this site - that is clear - you might call it a labor of love. Hard to beat the efforts of the person spearheading them.
MAS
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby BuckytheGREAT » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Yea, I really do like this site here. I was just wondering why there's another one out there. I guess it's a Ford/Chevy thing. Ha.

Speaking of SummitPost.com - there's also MountainProject.com that I really like. What's the difference between those two?

Postby Bean » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:46 pm

MountainProject is for the technical side of things moreso than SP; at least, that's my understanding of it.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Bean wrote:I've never even considered fourteenerworld, since 14ers and summitpost are both free. What possible reason is there to pay money for information that's already out there?

Even though 14ers.com is free....it is still a good idea to make a donation. And it's almost Christmas, which reminds me it is time for my yearly gift to 14ers.com....

I encourage everyone to make a donation. :)
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 pm

I'll take a stab at it...

14erWorld is centered around a forum and does not have all of the peak pages and routes that have become the core of 14ers.com. I think Steve would rather keep the 14erWorld forum on a focused, forum-centric track by restricting access to paid, registered users.

This is simply a different model than 14ers.com. I'm not centering the site around a forum and want to provide as much content as possible to the general public. Sure, I have the burden of a forum that's a bit more difficult to manage but I can live with that. I never wanted 14ers.com to be cliquey or restrictive in nature. Free and open, like SummitPost.

The sites differ in their missions, but provide helpful content to those that want it.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:49 pm

George James wrote:There's (even) more trip reports there coming from experienced individuals that you can add on top of the great info here & draw from to formulate your plan of attack. It's another good resource and I'll probably sign up someday, though I'm afraid that many of those folks take themselves a little too seriously, and I would certainly not fit in with a group like that...

...and some people just can't be bothered with the inexperienced, less traveled adventurer...too many checklists to have any time for that. It's seems to me to be a general trend in the outdoor community, at least down here on the front range, that I see often.

George, couldn't agree more. Once the inexperienced becomes the experienced, they have no time for the inexperienced. I've gotten that several times on 14erworld.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:57 pm

I've seen some of that from people that have progressed from inexperienced to more experienced. While climbing the 14ers, they spoke highly of 14ers.com and say they use it a lot and found it to be an excellent resource. Then, something happens and they put down 14ers.com as being a "noob" site or causing the peaks to become crowded. Weird.

Elitism is NOT for me.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby SuperPolok » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:50 pm

I am quite the Fourteenerworld apologist for one very clear reason: it was my gateway to the Colorado Mountains way back in 2001 (in a very different, and free format). I remember my first hike up a Colorado Mountain was up "Atlantic" Peak and on a topo map I saw that its awesome neighbor was named Pacific Peak. An internet search of Pacific Peak came up with two entries: an old trip report and Fourteenerworld. I started posting and was hooked on mountains from that point forward.

Fourteenerworld
Pros: Highly experienced group of people, great place to find hiking partners for more obscure peaks (beyond the 13ers even), tight-knit community (every year they have a winter "gathering" where everyone gets together, talks mountains, drinks beers and has a good time. Any and all are invited. Low number of repeat posts, large number of trip reports

Cons: You have to pay (but the minimal yearlly fee is pittance in the large scheme of things), It can be "cliquish". This might be true, especially for those who are looking for partners for 14ers only. Many of the people on the site have finished the 14ers and have interests that have moved away from those.

14ers.com
Pros: Free!, Huge group of people meaning a large percentage of possible partners,etc. Large number of trip reports. More features and GREAT resources on the 14ers, especially those just getting into the hobby. Good number of trip reports and far superior picture posting with the TR's

Cons: Lots of repeat posts, a bit more difficult to find the "good" material. Especially during the summer it seems that 14ers are practically the only topic of converastion.

I guess I feel both have their strengths and weaknesses. I know from personal experience that everyone I've climbed with from fourteenerworld are great people and don't seem cliquish or exclusive, they just have a great love for the mountains. I had an easy time finding partners for all of my remaining centennials this year including Jagged, Pigeon, and Dallas and all of them were competent, enjoyable climbing companions. Just my two cents.

Ryan

Postby mattpayne11 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:54 pm

I think most people would not pay for something if they can get it for free somewhere else. My guess is that 14erworld admin wanted to make a site and make some money on something he feels he knows something about - nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally, I'm working on my own website right now - taking me about 4 weeks of actual work so far to create. For me its about having fun and learning how to create a nice website. Making money down the road will just be icing if it ever happens.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:09 pm

mattpayne11 wrote:I think most people would not pay for something if they can get it for free somewhere else. My guess is that 14erworld admin wanted to make a site and make some money on something he feels he knows something about - nothing wrong with that at all.

Actually he was just trying to cover hosting costs and wasn't able to do it through ads and other means so he want to a pay model. I've been a member of all 3 sites for years and think they all do a good job with their chosen niche. I've made posts here before looking for 13er partners and have rarely had anyone interested. Beyond the 14ers this can be a difficult place to find partners.

Postby sgladbach » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:59 pm

lanternerouge08 wrote: Even though 14ers.com is free....it is still a good idea to make a donation. I encourage everyone to make a donation. :)
+1

George James wrote:There's (even) more trip reports there coming from experienced individuals that you can add on top of the great info here & draw from to formulate your plan of attack. It's another good resource...

More info is always better. Both sites have a unique personality and are populated by unique personalities. I belong to both and try to do my part to see that the free site stays fiscally viable. I would never give up my membership in 14erworld, 14ers.com, or the CMC (life member.)

George James wrote:...some people just can't be bothered with the inexperienced, less traveled adventurer... It's seems to me to be a general trend in the outdoor community, at least down here on the front range, that I see often.

That behavior is unfortunate. The person in the position to act as a mentor is choosing new peaks and routes as a means of feeling the fullfilment that comes from accomplishment. Equally fulfilling is the opportunity to encourage another and thereby see the Rockies anew :D through the eyes of someone who is either experiencing them (or some aspect thereof, i.e. harder route, winter travel) for the first time or stretching their skills to a new Height. :wink:

When the CMC was more popular, progression toward mentorship was more common. I believe the decline in the popularity of the CMC is a loss to the mountaineering community. Also dying away is the amount of formal classroom and field training that was once provided through the CMC by more experienced climbers. Though, in my experience, courses taught by certified guides are almost always better, the reasonably priced CMC classes are great pre-requisites.

There is plenty of room to mix things up. New routes and challenges accomplished with old partners can be balanced with new relationships developed by re-visiting favorite peaks and routes. A person's honed skills and familiarity with the mountain help mitigate the unknowns of a new partner. Plus, there is always an opportunity to pass on something one might have learned that might help somebody out someday.

I get really pissed-off :x when I see the threads critical of lesser experienced climbers getting into trouble. The Bierdstat and Pike's events of this past fall come to mind. There are valid criticisms about S&R volunteers being put at risk even in straightforward rescue operations. Those not in a position to help w/one of those teams may be able help through proactive mentorship. Do you think those scenarios might have been very different had a single experienced climber been along? I hope never to see another post telling a noobie how stupid they are put up by anyone who isn't willing to try to teach.

Of course, everyone is ultimately responsible for their own safety and understanding of the assumption of risk associated with a particular mountin/season/route. That is where these two websites become so invaluable. Everyone from the guy in his recliner in Des Moines to the lucky, rich bastard in Vail (Kiefer? :wink: ) has unlimited access to route descriptions, photos, maps, 5000 TRs, and the opportunity to ask questions. The volume of information available before reaching the TH is tens-of-thousands of times greater than it was in the "good ol" CMC days. As enjoying the 14ers has grown exponentially, the niche filled by Bill and Steve and the 14ers Initiative has prevented more problematic situations than lack of mentorship ever created. Still, in a perfect world these would all act in concert.

Sorry for droning on, but I've provided The Baron with plenty of fodder. As always, I am 100% correct. The one time I thought I was wrong, I later found I'd made an error.
Last edited by sgladbach on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

PreviousNext