Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Xfering Waypoints and Routes into Basecamp

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Xfering Waypoints and Routes into Basecamp

Postby ChrisM » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:47 pm

I have Nat Geo TOPO and Garmin 1:24 software and I am trying to transfer the route from the TOPO map into my Basecamp map and eventually into my gps. I can transfer waypoints with no problem, but I get each waypoint with a flag on the route (250 of them) and cannot see the route! The last Garmin person said to use MapSource and I have unsuccessfully tried that. Does anyone know how to do this? I am not a computer genius...

Site Administrator

Re: Xfering Waypoints and Routes into Basecamp

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:29 pm

What files are you using as input to Nat Geo TOPO!? Are you using the 14ers.com route .TPO files or .GPX files? The 14ers.com .TPO (TOPO!) files have a route line drawn but you can't download that to your GPS - but you can use that base line to create a route in TOPO!. To do this, RIGHT-CLICK on the red line and select "GPS Route..." and select a number of waypoints, etc. Once the route is created, you can see it in the "Content Viewer" list at the bottom of the TOPO! screen. Then you can EXPORT routes and or waypoints to your gps.

If you're using the 14ers.com .GPX files, each file has a bunch of waypoints that were plotted based on a tracking line during a hike(s). With Garmin MapSource, you can open the .GPX files, highlight all of the waypoints in the list and then RIGHT-CLICK with your mouse (over the selected waypoints) and select "Create Route Using Selected Waypoints..." You can then select the route and/or waypoints and use the "Send to Device" function to get the data to your GPS.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Waypoints to Route in Mapsource

Postby MtnHermit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:38 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:If you're using the 14ers.com .GPX files, each file has a bunch of waypoints that were plotted based on a tracking line during a hike(s). With Garmin MapSource, you can open the .GPX files, highlight all of the waypoints in the list and then RIGHT-CLICK with your mouse (over the selected waypoints) and select "Create Route Using Selected Waypoints..." You can then select the route and/or waypoints and use the "Send to Device" function to get the data to your GPS.

Not working for me.

Easy to open the GPX waypoint file in Mapsource, I see a hundred or more WP on the map, selected them all in the table (they turn yellow on the map), RC in the table and select convert to route, Opens a new dialog (Route Properties), in that dialog clicking either OK, Recalculate, or Show on Map give me a straight line from summit to TH.

I'm missing something. Any ideas?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Sounds like that GPX file may have an extra waypoint on the end or something so the line becomes a "loop."

If you zoom in on the map, is the route line drawn through all of the waypoints? If so, you may just have to delete the first or last waypoint to get rid of that extraneous line from summit to TH.

What GPX file were you using? I just tried a few of them and they worked ok.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Yup, that's it. I just found that problem in some other GPX files. After creating the route, I simply clicked on the Waypoints tab and deleted the last few waypoints at the bottom of the list. It's likely the SUMMIT and TH waypoints that I put in many of the files.

Sorry about that. Should still allow you to create a route line, though.

Postby MtnHermit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Zooming in did show the route line hiding behind all the flags. Thanks.

A more basic question, why waypoints instead of tracks? What is the benefit?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:14 pm

Each file is based on GPS "tracks" taken in the field, but I decided to convert them to GPX files with evenly-spaced waypoints instead of all of the track points. I figured this would be more consistent and somewhat useful. I suppose I could add GPX "track" files to the routes, too.

When I get some time, I'll update the GPX files to remove those extra waypoints that cause the looping line.

Postby MtnHermit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Each file is based on GPS "tracks" taken in the field, but I decided to convert them to GPX files with evenly-spaced waypoints instead of all of the track points. I figured this would be more consistent and somewhat useful. I suppose I could add GPX "track" files to the routes, too.
All the flags are for me a distraction, whereas a track is simply a line. Just how my eyes work. :)

When I get some time, I'll update the GPX files to remove those extra waypoints that cause the looping line.
I suspect their are better uses for your time . . . like skiing. :P

This is a great resource, so I'll not complain. Thanks for the help.

Another thought . . .

Postby MtnHermit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:38 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Each file is based on GPS "tracks" taken in the field, but I decided to convert them to GPX files with evenly-spaced waypoints instead of all of the track points. I figured this would be more consistent and somewhat useful. I suppose I could add GPX "track" files to the routes, too.
I frequently use Mapsource to reduce the number of track points, it has several conditions like evenly spaced or even time, but I've found auto is nice because at switchbacks evenly spaced cuts off the inflection. In any case GPX files are so small, especially compared to a JPEG, just upload the raw track file. No perfect answer.

If that seems to ramble, eyes are getting heavy, slow brain.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:43 pm

I like more info, so I'll probably just change the GPX files to include waypoints, route and tracks. Then people can extract whatever they want.
It's on the list!
Right after skiing...

Postby MtnHermit » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:35 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Right after skiing...
Was that like April, aka mud season?