Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Photo Contest Caption [80 characters]?

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Photo Contest Caption [80 characters]?

Postby MtnHermit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:50 am

I kept getting an error while trying to edit my 80 char caption in the summer photo contest. I deleted one character in the edit window and the edit was accepted. Otherwise, I kept getting a non-specific error message when I clicked the update button.

You have a counter in the caption edit window and another counter when the update button is clicked. These two counters differ by a count of one. I know not if we're talking 79, 80 or 81 characters, I didn't count them.

Not a huge problem, just thought you'd like to know.

As always, thanks for a great site. :)

Site Administrator

Re: Photo Contest Caption [80 characters]?

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Was the error message above the page header and have something to do with an "include" file not found? If so, I just fixed that - it had nothing to do with the length of the photo description field (80 char).

I don't have an input character counter that displays on that screen, so I'm not sure what you mean.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby MtnHermit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Their were two system error messages above the group along with some * & ** with other notes below. I drew my counter conclusions because as you type into the caption field, at some point it refuses additional characters. However, the max number of caption field characters caused the error, whereas the max number -1 did not. So I concluded the two field "counters" were different. Did not intend to imply an actual visible counter.

Does this help? Always difficult to describe in text a complex situation.

I can confirm the "error" has NOT been fixed. I added one character to the caption field and clicked UPDATE, I got an error. But no system messages. I wouldn't think that the user should have to count to 80 characters to avoid getting an error.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Ok, I'll keep looking. The error msgs aren't related to the caption/description fields, but something else on how I'm processing the Update button. When the cursor stops letting you enter characters, it's because that field has a maximum allowable characters (like 80 Char).

Can you provide me with the URL of the page you are using when you are editing the photo? Thx
Only SNOW will end the madness