Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Loading 14ers.com on iPhone

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Loading 14ers.com on iPhone

Postby Athos791 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:17 pm

The website used to load perfectly well on my iPhone, but the as of a few days ago it doesn't load properly. The page comes up as a white page with everything placed on the left side with no home-page picture, and the forum is at the way bottom and is very tiny. Any ideas anyone?
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Re: Loading 14ers.com on iPhone

Postby GreenMountainBoy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:27 pm

i remember seeing a post from Bill that he had made some layout changes to better suit mobile devices recently and was looking for feedback on it...i'm sure he'll chime in.
But feel, til the very end, the triumph of being alive.

Gunnar Björnstrand, The Seventh Seal

Postby JB99 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Search "mobile phone support" and I think you'll find the thread explaining the change. I don't really like it better than it was before but it loads faster. It would be nice if you could decide whether to access the mobile version or the full site.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby centrifuge » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:41 pm

I noticed this today. At first I thought that there was an issue, then saw that it was the new mobile version. It definitly loads faster, but not by enough to make it worth it. I think on a blackberry it would probably make a world of difference, but given the iPhones ability to run a 'normal' browser I would much prefer to be able to decide whether or not I want to use the mobile version. Maybe it loads to the mobile site and the first link on top returns you to the normal site instead?
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby catbus-x » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 am

I don't own an iPhone, but I have 2 cell phones and on 3G network the results are loading 14ers:
Blackberry curve 8310: 20 secs.
LGVu: Medianet browser: 4 secs.
LGvu: Opera Mini: 5 secs.

I remember loading 14ers half way up on Elbert and the signal was G full bars on both cellphones. My LG took around 35 secs to load the entire page. The blackberry gave error connection twice.

Sending MMS with a photo of on both phones 640X480 pixels, took around 40 secs on a G signal.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:22 am

Yes, all mobile phones are now redirected to the "clean" home page. Soon, I'll be working on a modification that will allow you to specify whether or not you want to view the normal home page or the clean one.

On the way...
Only SNOW will end the madness

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:05 am

Done. Now, there's a "View Full Home Page" link at the top of the mobile-version (clean) home page.

When the mobile (clean) page comes up on your iPhone, you can click this link to go to the normal home page. For the remainder of your browsing session, you will be taken to the normal home page whenever you click a home link throughout the site.

Postby covfrrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:08 am

I tried to log in to the forum via my Sony Ericsson W580i... I can't get into the username or password fields. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 am

Verizon?
I used to have the same problem with my LG env1, but it works fine on my LG env3

Postby covfrrider » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 am

I'm on AT&T

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 am

Ahhhhh.........AT&T, huh!

I don't know what that means. But, that's what they say when I tell people I'm on AT&T and I just wanted to see what it felt like.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 am

Sounds just like what used to happen to me on Verizon's early version of Mobile Web. Not sure why it's doing that, but I suspect the "browser" just can't display some of the stuff that phpBB builds into their forum pages.

Next