Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trip report window

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Trip report window

Postby George Kaplan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:30 am

Hi Bill,

Not sure if this is a problem with just me or the site, but the text window for writing trip reports was going wonky on me. The vertical scroll-bar on the text window keeps automatically shifting back up to the top of the page whenever I try to type or highlight a link. I ended up just writing everything in word and pasting it in, but I don't remember the text window ever behaving this buggy on me before.

Site Administrator

Re: Trip report window

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:34 pm

Let me guess... Internet Explorer v8?
I've noticed this behavior sometimes when you put a large amount of text in a text box like the one on the TR Add page. It does the same thing when I put a lot of text in a forum thread - it jumps up and down when I try to go to the next line when I'm at the end. So, it's not specific to the TR Add page, the forum does it with completely different pages from a 3rd party.

I have not been able to get it to do this in Firefox, Chrome or Safari.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby wildlobo71 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Bill, I had the same problem in recent forums... every word I typed seem to make the text field jump around and bounce. After a while I began to "trust" my typing then use the preview option to correct my errors.

It doesn't bounce around in Opera, either.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:44 pm

Try using 14ers.com in "Compatibility Mode" by clicking the Compatibility Button (next to the refresh button) near the top of IE8.
This worked for me.

Here's a link about this IE8 bug: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=309186.0
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby George Kaplan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Wonderful! That did the trick. Thanks!

Postby CarpeDM » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

I've run into this, too, and was just about to add a new topic when I found it was already addressed. I'll try the fix. Thanks!
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement