Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Login and Off Route topics

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Login and Off Route topics

Postby iamthemarmot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:20 pm

Okay, I thought I saw this before, and I did a quick search and didn't find it here...

When I turn on 14ers, I'm always greeted by the Logon at the top of the Recent Forum Topics box. I click the log on, and it says I'm already on. I click back, and I still don't have (those beloved) Off Route Topics. So I click on to sign off, the log back in, click the box to remember me, and I get the same thing the next day.

It's frustrating, especially when I used to go months without logging in. :(

Am I doing something wrong? IE version 6, Windows XP. Haha, although the computer at work was Windows 98... :!:

If I'm missing a step,I'd be happy to understand.

Again, great site Bill! When I become gainfully employed again, I'll make my donation to the website again. This has kept my sanity in these depressing times due some really helpful members you have around here. They've been very helpful in guiding me to some places and people who might hire me after I just got laid off.

Thank you. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I believe there's something to be said for exploring beautiful places. It's good for the spirit. David Scott

Site Administrator

Re: Loggin in and Off Route topics

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 pm

First off, the login is cookie-based and gets wiped out if your browser cookies are cleared.

To display off route threads when logged in, you must also click the "Display Settings" link at the bottom of the home page and check the option to display "Off Route" threads. As with the forum login, "Display Settings" are stored in a cookie, so they will are computer-specific and will be reset to the defaults if your cookie cache is cleared.

Are you going between computers? You mentioned that you are going between home and work computers - because the cookies are computer-independent, your settings on one computer have nothing to do with the other.
If it's at work, is it possible that your network clears your cookies somehow?
Are you clearing your cookie cache?
Do you have your browser privacy features set very high?
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Site Administrator

Re: Login and Off Route topics

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:10 am

Still having this problem in your browser?

Postby iamthemarmot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:18 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Still having this problem in your browser?

Unfortunately, yes. It shows that I need to login, I go to that page, says I'm logged in, so I logout, log in, and go to the main page and start browsing. Says I'm logged in at that point. It's just squirrely. :?:
I believe there's something to be said for exploring beautiful places. It's good for the spirit. David Scott

Postby covfrrider » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:23 am

iamthemarmot wrote:

Unfortunately, yes. It shows that I need to login, I go to that page, says I'm logged in, so I logout, log in, and go to the main page and start browsing. Says I'm logged in at that point. It's just squirrely. :?:

Sounds marmoty to me... :mrgreen:

Postby iamthemarmot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 am

covfrrider wrote:Sounds marmoty to me... :mrgreen:

But I've given homage to Marmot, the Benevolent Mountain God..... [-o<

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:17 pm

iamthemarmot wrote:

Have you tried clearing your Internet cache and cookie history entirely, to see if something is screwed up in a cookie?
Also, when you go to 14ers.com in the morning, have you tried just clicking the forum link on the pull-down menus to see if it shows you are logged into the forum. Is it just the homepage link (above the forum topics) that is giving you problems?

Anyone else having this problem?

Postby iamthemarmot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Just did that. Obviously, I had to log in again, and change all the flags back to where I wanted them. We'll see what happens tomorrow or tonight. I'll completely shut down here in a minute.

As far as the other part goes, if it still says to log in, and it shows I'm logged in, I'll go to the Off Route Forum, and try to see a post. I don't remember for sure if I could or couldn't.

IATM

Postby iamthemarmot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Worked okay tonight. Let's see if I have problems tomorrow.

Postby iamthemarmot » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:02 am

Okay, and this morning I'm still seeing the same problem. I go to 14ers.com, I see the Recent Forum Topics box, and it says log on, I click that and it says that I'm logged on, I can click an Off Route Forum Topic, and it lets me in. It go back to teh Board Index, I go down to the bottom so I can go to 14ers.com Home, and now it says I'm logged in. :|