VIDEO - My Decalibron Loop Hike (1080p HD)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Maverick6981
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27 4
Trip Reports (32)

VIDEO - My Decalibron Loop Hike (1080p HD)

Post by Maverick6981 »

Hi all!

Here is the video I made of my trip around Decalibron! As I mentioned in a previous post, I am having issues with deteriorating memory due to Lyme Disease and have begun recording my hikes so I can remember them down the road. If you have any negative feedback, please leave it on this thread so that I can take your constructive criticism to improve my videos. I also welcome positive feedback as well! haha Either way, climb on my friends!

-Mav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vYB7IyWzfE
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Re: VIDEO - My Decalibron Loop Hike (1080p HD)

Post by Maverick6981 »

I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on this video and I appreciate all of your kind words! I cannot wait to grow my video journal of 14ers. One day, I'll be able to pull these videos out and show my kids :-D Again, thank you all for your messages!

-Mav
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Looks forward to showing your kids the videos of them climbing with you. :)
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

rob runkle wrote:Looks forward to showing your kids the videos of them climbing with you. :)
That's a great point!
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Great video BTW. I did the group initially in 2002, then again a few years ago. A couple of points made me laugh. When you were near the top of Democrat, and you said, "I'm about 5 minutes from the top." I laughed because that summit is deceiving. It has a bit of a false summit. I bet you were more like 15 minutes to the top. The other time was when you were getting a wind block from Cameron (heading toward Bross). I laughed, because you mentioned that Cameron was blocking the wind. But, I had similar winds when I did that a few years back. And, as soon as you clear Cameron, the wind smacks you again, and pretty much hits you in the face all the way to Bross. I laughed, because I knew that you would get hit again once you cleared Cameron. Sure enough, when you cleared the protection of Cameron, it started back up.
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

rob runkle wrote:Great video BTW. I did the group initially in 2002, then again a few years ago. A couple of points made me laugh. When you were near the top of Democrat, and you said, "I'm about 5 minutes from the top." I laughed because that summit is deceiving. It has a bit of a false summit. I bet you were more like 15 minutes to the top. The other time was when you were getting a wind block from Cameron (heading toward Bross). I laughed, because you mentioned that Cameron was blocking the wind. But, I had similar winds when I did that a few years back. And, as soon as you clear Cameron, the wind smacks you again, and pretty much hits you in the face all the way to Bross. I laughed, because I knew that you would get hit again once you cleared Cameron. Sure enough, when you cleared the protection of Cameron, it started back up.
Thanks for the feedback Rob!! My skill level is improving with every 14er I complete, but as of now, I'm just a goofball with a camera who likes to film things! lol! I'm glad the video provided you with some entertainment :-D My goal for the videos is to watch my evolution as a hiker with each video, but to also provide those suffering with Lyme Disease some form of motivation (in whatever small amount that may be) that you can go from being bedridden to getting back into the things you love. I always say, if your life is worth living, it is worth recording! :mrgreen:
rob runkle
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Maverick6981 wrote:
rob runkle wrote:Great video BTW. I did the group initially in 2002, then again a few years ago. A couple of points made me laugh. When you were near the top of Democrat, and you said, "I'm about 5 minutes from the top." I laughed because that summit is deceiving. It has a bit of a false summit. I bet you were more like 15 minutes to the top. The other time was when you were getting a wind block from Cameron (heading toward Bross). I laughed, because you mentioned that Cameron was blocking the wind. But, I had similar winds when I did that a few years back. And, as soon as you clear Cameron, the wind smacks you again, and pretty much hits you in the face all the way to Bross. I laughed, because I knew that you would get hit again once you cleared Cameron. Sure enough, when you cleared the protection of Cameron, it started back up.
Thanks for the feedback Rob!! My skill level is improving with every 14er I complete, but as of now, I'm just a goofball with a camera who likes to film things! lol! I'm glad the video provided you with some entertainment :-D My goal for the videos is to watch my evolution as a hiker with each video, but to also provide those suffering with Lyme Disease some form of motivation (in whatever small amount that may be) that you can go from being bedridden to getting back into the things you love. I always say, if your life is worth living, it is worth recording! :mrgreen:
Yeah, one of my buddies had Lyme Disease and it knocked him down pretty hard. It is fun to watch and remember the experiences that I had also.
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

rob runkle wrote:Yeah, one of my buddies had Lyme Disease and it knocked him down pretty hard. It is fun to watch and remember the experiences that I had also.
If he is still struggling with symptoms or the left over effects the Lyme spirochetes cause, tell him to look into Stephen Buhner. Following his protocol has made immense difference in my symptoms.

And yes, nostalgia is great!
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

Does anybody have a recommendation for a 14er to do next week that is close to Denver and less windy than Decalibron?
donutbread
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by donutbread »

Maverick6981 wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation for a 14er to do next week that is close to Denver and less windy than Decalibron?
Wind is always a factor on every peak above treeline. There won't be one specific peak that is less likely to be windy. Just look around at the Front Range 14ers and watch the forecasts. Thats the best you can do.
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

donutbread wrote:
Maverick6981 wrote:Does anybody have a recommendation for a 14er to do next week that is close to Denver and less windy than Decalibron?
Wind is always a factor on every peak above treeline. There won't be one specific peak that is less likely to be windy. Just look around at the Front Range 14ers and watch the forecasts. Thats the best you can do.
That's a good point. I'm hoping to knock out at lease 2 or 3 more by the end of September. I'm not so sure I'm interested in doing these peaks during the winter. Our locksmith at work used to be on the search and rescue team and has some horror stories. The mountains will always be there. I, however, will not haha
Maverick6981
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Maverick6981 »

I think I may do Evans on Tuesday. I already did Bierstadt, maybe I'll do sawtooth too!