14er with highest fatality rate?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ZyLi
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 14er with highest fatality rate?

Post by ZyLi »

I just summited Longs last Thursday (for the first time), and wouldn't be surprised to see it on top of the fatality list.
The last mile after Keyhole appears to be dangerous when it's under winter conditions, I could imagine. Although it was in summer conditions when I summited it.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er with highest fatality rate?

Post by Sean Nunn »

peter303 wrote:I dont know if this a trend or statistical fluke, but the number of Colorado 14er fatalities seems in be down the past couple years. Its normally around 10 per year, but 2015 and 2016 so far it has been 4 each. Lets hope this continues to approach zero.

I hate mentioning numbers, because each is a real person with life ended early with grieving relatives and friends.
That is really encouraging. I agree that if you personally know someone who died, then it doesn't matter about the numbers. However, you are correct that for a while it was normally 10-12 deaths/year. Let's hope it does continue to drop and eventually reach zero.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6