What's comparable to longs peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's comparable to longs peak?

Post by Andymcp1 »

I would say that crestone peak is similar in difficulty. The round trip distances (if you start at the 4wd th) are very similar, similar elevation gain etc.
Crestone felt a bit steeper in some parts, but was overall very solid and thus felt very secure. The trough on Longs peak is an easy loose walk up a long gully, but can be dangerous on a busy day due to people kicking rocks down.

Overall, both are long days with some exposure, some class 3 scrambling, and beautiful views. They both remain some of my favorite 14ers.

Other peaks that compare are:
Eolus- Catwalk is nice and exposed, much more route finding on the E face of the peak than crestone or longs, long approach into the basin.

Kit Carson- A similar long day, long slog up challenger point, exposure on the Ave, solid short scramble to the summit. In my opinion easier than both longs, crestone, Eolus.

Wetterhorn- Way shorter of a day, very solid class 3 scrambling for the final few hundred feet. We got off route going up the lower ridge (hard to do) and was class 4 no doubt. Coming down we spotted our few route finding mistakes, and it was easy class 3 and mostly class 2+.
Runner342
14ers: 6 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Runner342 »

Similar question: what's comparable to Longs Peak in terms of variety, quality, and number of possible routes up it? Do any mountains in CO compare?
dannyg23
14ers: 54  43 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by dannyg23 »

Runner342 wrote:Similar question: what's comparable to Longs Peak in terms of variety, quality, and number of possible routes up it? Do any mountains in CO compare?
No. Longs has a lifetime of challenges for everyone from Tommy Boy to Tommy Caldwell.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

aerophex wrote:Running the Pikes Peak Marathon... twice in a row

I pity the fool who don't respect Longs
That's laying it on a bit thick. PPM is 26 miles and 7k' vertical. Longs is 14 miles and 5k' vertical. Sure, the scrambling and the steep parts will slow you down. For the well fit, Longs can be done in under 7 hours, no problem. Keyhole speed record is ~3h15m.

I defintely feel more beat up after a PPM.

I second the Crestones and Kit Caston.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
aerophex
14ers: 15  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aerophex »

Tory Wells wrote:

That's laying it on a bit thick. PPM is 26 miles and 7k' vertical. Longs is 14 miles and 5k' vertical. Sure, the scrambling and the steep parts will slow you down. For the well fit, Longs can be done in under 7 hours, no problem. Keyhole speed record is ~3h15m.

I defintely feel more beat up after a PPM.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hyperbole" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=D>
in mountains I trust
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Runner342 wrote:Similar question: what's comparable to Longs Peak in terms of variety, quality, and number of possible routes up it? Do any mountains in CO compare?
The Crestones come to mind
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

Personally I don't think Long's was as hard as Crestone Needle (the 2 hardest mountains I have ever climbed by the way), and I camped below Crestone Needle to cut it down to size.

I think Long's is tougher, more exposed, and more challenging from a route finding standpoint (mostly on the down climb) than any of the collegiate peaks.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcmanusj »

aerophex wrote:
stone-door214 wrote: Then the narrows. Not much vertical gain, but IIRC about 150-300 feet traversing across a path no wider than my two feet, and a sharp dropoff
Are your feet each 4 feet wide? Longs is seriously overblown in terms of difficulty. The hardest part of that mountain is the distance and elevation gain, the "climbing" is almost non existant
donutbread
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by donutbread »

mcmanusj wrote:
aerophex wrote:
stone-door214 wrote: Then the narrows. Not much vertical gain, but IIRC about 150-300 feet traversing across a path no wider than my two feet, and a sharp dropoff
Are your feet each 4 feet wide? Longs is seriously overblown in terms of difficulty. The hardest part of that mountain is the distance and elevation gain, the "climbing" is almost non existant
The traffic on the Keyhole route certainly adds to the difficulty. Especially on the Homestretch, where most will have to stay on the same line all the way to the summit.
Tory Wells
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

aerophex wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:

I definitely feel more beat up after a PPM.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hyperbole" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=D>
Hyperbole or not, I think Longs Keyhole is way overrated in difficulty. The reason for this, I think, is because so many people new to 14ers tackle Longs very early on in their 14er quest, before they really know what they're doing. That was the case for me: It was my first 14er and I wasn't properly trained for the hike and it took me 11 hours. Now, with some decent trailrunning fitness and knowledge of the route, I've got that down to around 6 hours--and I'm not even fast.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

-Steve Gladbach
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeffth5 »

I've got that down to around 6 hours--and I'm not even fast.
#humblebrag

Overrated how? Class 3 for the Keyhole? Class 3 for the Loft? 5.4 for Kieners? 5.10a for the Casual Route? I think these are pretty accurate ratings that have been agreed on by many people over a long period of time. Longs is not 'overrated' - just because you find the couple of Class 3 moves on the Keyhole route 'easy' doesn't make it any less Class 3. Just because Crestone Needle is also rated Class 3 by its standard route, doesn't mean that the Keyhole on Longs isn't.

Longs has proven fatal to many - too many on this forum are trivializing Colorado mountains. Yes, many 14er routes are 'easy' to experienced hikers and climbers in good conditions. I'm sure that is great consolation to the families of those who have died on Colorado's peaks, including Longs.
Tory Wells
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

jeffth5 wrote:
I've got that down to around 6 hours--and I'm not even fast.
#humblebrag

Overrated how? Class 3 for the Keyhole? Class 3 for the Loft? 5.4 for Kieners? 5.10a for the Casual Route? I think these are pretty accurate ratings that have been agreed on by many people over a long period of time. Longs is not 'overrated' - just because you find the couple of Class 3 moves on the Keyhole route 'easy' doesn't make it any less Class 3. Just because Crestone Needle is also rated Class 3 by its standard route, doesn't mean that the Keyhole on Longs isn't.

Longs has proven fatal to many - too many on this forum are trivializing Colorado mountains. Yes, many 14er routes are 'easy' to experienced hikers and climbers in good conditions. I'm sure that is great consolation to the families of those who have died on Colorado's peaks, including Longs.
My post mentions the Keyhole specifically. And I'm not referring to the rating so much as to the reputation it has for being an ass-kicker. If one is properly prepared for it, it is not.

And don't get me wrong--Longs is my favorite mountain. I love the variety of terrain and route options that it offers.

-Steve Gladbach