What's comparable to longs peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mansfield1891
Trip Reports (0)

What's comparable to longs peak?

Post by Mansfield1891 »

As the title says, which 14ers are compatible In fun and difficulty to longs peak?
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What's comparable to longs peak?

Post by Derby Ale »

Bross
South Bross

(Also, search)
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

How about crestone needle?
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Perhaps Holy Cross, Kit Carson and Challenger, and Harvard and Columbia
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Longs is in a class all its own when it comes to CO 14ers.
Headwall5
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Headwall5 »

Id say Wetterhorn. Both peaks include a quick, exposed, class 3 section. The approach and ant trails are longer on Longs though.
Rambler
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Rambler »

I've done 21 14ers to date. Longs took me 15 hours. Never spent more time on a day trip. It's in its own league.
Derek_Cisler
14ers: 36  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derek_Cisler »

It's probably more of a combination of sections from different mountains. Something like the RT mileage and gain of Crestone Peak from the 4WD TH, Wetterhorn's final section, Sneffels' gully (x4) with a fun move at the top. I'm sure there are other elements on mountains I haven't done yet...Kit Carson Avenue comes to mind.
aerophex
14ers: 15  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aerophex »

Running the Pikes Peak Marathon... twice in a row

I pity the fool who don't respect Longs
in mountains I trust
stone-door214
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stone-door214 »

What is the exposure like on Longs Peak? I can't get a good feel from videos because of wide angle lens. For example, is it comparable to Angels Landing in Zion? The only 14er I have been on so far is Mt. Bierstadt.
aerophex
14ers: 15  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aerophex »

stone-door214 wrote:What is the exposure like on Longs Peak? I can't get a good feel from videos because of wide angle lens. For example, is it comparable to Angels Landing in Zion? The only 14er I have been on so far is Mt. Bierstadt.
(If you are taking the standard, Keyhole, route)
Once you get past the Keyhole, it gets more and more exposed. First up is an ascent up the Rockfall, maybe 300 or 600 foot vertical. Rocks smaller than the boulderfield, so unstable as all getup. Watch both above and below. Some folks prefer helmets through here.

Then the narrows. Not much vertical gain, but IIRC about 150-300 feet traversing across a path no wider than my two feet, and a sharp dropoff

Lastly, the home stretch. Forget how high, but it's slabbing up with a few cracks here and there to grab onto. Not too difficult until right near the top. Exposure is pretty high here, but it's not too complicated (in good weather)

Been several years since I did my Longs run, so memory is spotty. Had other events happen on the mountain that day as well, descent was marred in a tragedy.
in mountains I trust
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I've never seen my brother as worked as he was on the final homestretch section of Longs.