C3 Massive/N Mass Helmet Worthy?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

C3 Massive/N Mass Helmet Worthy?

Post by JQDivide »

The few Class 3 Sections between Massive and North Massive... are they worthy of a helmet?
Didn't see any helmets in the photos in the TRs.

Thanks
JQ
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: C3 Massive/N Mass Helmet Worthy?

Post by fahixson »

It felt like there were a number of ways to get from Massive to N Massive and it didn't cross my mind to wear a helmet. I usually stick to the helmet for Class 3 and above mantra but I didn't really think of it as Class 3. It reminded me more of the rocks around the summit of Harvard or Yale maybe.

There was a fair bit of snow when I was there, which we worked to avoid. So maybe any Class 3 was covered in snow.

All that said, there were some microwave size blocks that were tipsy. One rolled out from under me for a painful/embarrassing fall but no danger of tumbling down the mountain. I'm guessing since the route we were using to avoid snow doesn't see as much traffic, it may have been a little more unstable.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: C3 Massive/N Mass Helmet Worthy?

Post by Trotter »

JQDivide wrote:The few Class 3 Sections between Massive and North Massive... are they worthy of a helmet?
Didn't see any helmets in the photos in the TRs.

Thanks
JQ

I never felt the need for one. plus, the subpeaks see very little traffic compared to the main summit, so there won't be a bunch of people kicking rocks down on you.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche