Quandary West Ridge time

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
merrion13
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 71 3
Trip Reports (3)

Quandary West Ridge time

Post by merrion13 »

For those who have done this route, how long did it take you to summit?

What is preferred exit, come down off Cristo for the direct scree descent back to car, or head off East down the standard trail then back up to car?

Thanks,
Peter
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Quandary West Ridge time

Post by Nelson »

It takes me about three hours to get to the top. The last couple of times I came down the Cristo Couloir, It is steep and loose and not much fun. I don't recommend it.

Nelson
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

3 hours was about right. Cristos not fun but completely doable, and direct.
Turboprop
14ers: 32 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Turboprop »

I've done it twice and came back down the west ridge both times. The descent was quick and easy. Maybe 5-6 hours round trip. Managed to get a good glissade in one year.
Wolfman_CO
14ers: 27  5 
13ers: 36 1 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wolfman_CO »

I was on the West Ridge a couple of weeks ago and I was away from the car for about 5 hours, although I also summited Fletcher (a Centennial) and spent about a combined hour on the summits- 15 minutes on crowded Quandary and 45 on Fletcher, which I had to myself. I descended the west ridge and followed it more or less up Fletcher and thought the decent was very straightforward and a lot of fun, better than what I imagine the snow-less couloir would be like. Have fun, its a great route that you'll likely have mostly to yourself!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Just checked your peaks... noticed no Class 3s.

West Ridge is no joke. If your experience level isn't up to par with C3, you might want to reconsider or go with someone who is.
SAR this week already on that route.

Not trying to be gloom and doom, just make good choices out there.

JQ
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

We did it about 6 hours to the summit from the car and down climbed down cristo couloir in snow, this was in late November,about 8 hours RT. It was cold Dr. Lecter, so cold.
JQDivide
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Exit... if you go down the standard route... you should be able to get ride back up to the lakes with one of the numerous hikers.
Just start talking to folks on the way down.

JQ
merrion13
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 71 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by merrion13 »

JQ, I get the concern, but I feel OK with this one. I've climbed the Grand Teton (granted, w/Exum), Kelso Ridge, Tour d'Abyss, and closer to Quandary, I've done the Tenmile Traverse which goes Class 3 for a long time, and I also lead 5.9 on rock. I've studied a lot of TRs and have printed numerous pics of the route. Thanks everyone!
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

merrion13 wrote:JQ, I get the concern, but I feel OK with this one. I've climbed the Grand Teton (granted, w/Exum), Kelso Ridge, Tour d'Abyss, and closer to Quandary, I've done the Tenmile Traverse which goes Class 3 for a long time, and I also lead 5.9 on rock. I've studied a lot of TRs and have printed numerous pics of the route. Thanks everyone!
Have you skied Corbets?
JQDivide
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

merrion13 wrote:JQ, I get the concern, but I feel OK with this one. I've climbed the Grand Teton (granted, w/Exum), Kelso Ridge, Tour d'Abyss, and closer to Quandary, I've done the Tenmile Traverse which goes Class 3 for a long time, and I also lead 5.9 on rock. I've studied a lot of TRs and have printed numerous pics of the route. Thanks everyone!
Great. You're plenty qualified.
Enjoy. You'll have fun.
It's a fun route... the basin should be green with some water still trickling down... some rock hopping... then the boring ridge... then a quick three up and downs and you're on the summit wishing there was more climbing.

JQ