Is Oct too late to climb?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gopilot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Is Oct too late to climb?

Post by gopilot »

Hi All,

I'm thinking of being out in CO the first week of Oct and am wondering if, traditionally, that would be too late to climb. I'm looking at the Chicago Basin and Little Bear.

Thanks!!
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is Oct too late to climb?

Post by SkaredShtles »

Maybe...

Maybe not.

HTH.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

October can be one of the best months to climb, I like to stick to south facing routes, like Petit Grepon, or SW ridge of Pagoda and avoid north facing routes as they can ice up earlier than most. Little Bear and Chicago Basin should be great in October, you might encounter a little snow/ice, but might not. Plus the weather can be much more predictable and stable, so you can climb all day long and not worry about afternoon thunderstorms as much.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You take what the mountains give you in October. Last year we had gorgeous weather until the 13th or so. But committing to those specific outings on specific days is pushing it.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

You probably have a 50/50 shot of having okay conditions for those peaks in early October. It could be a bit risky of a trip if you only have those two 14ers left and don't have backup easier peaks that would make the flight out here worth it.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

gopilot wrote:Hi All,

I'm thinking of being out in CO the first week of Oct and am wondering if, traditionally, that would be too late to climb. I'm looking at the Chicago Basin and Little Bear.

Thanks!!

Early October in Colorado is really hit and miss for climbing. Sometimes the weather is stormy and the peaks glazed with ice, whereas other times the peaks are dry and you have stable weather--you're not going to know what conditions you're dealing with until probably close to the time you fly out. On something like Little Bear or the Chicago Basin group it's a bit of gamble--you could get a nice day over dry rock, you could also get ice in Hourglass which makes for a sketchy climb because there usually isn't enough snow for a proper snow climb that early in season.

Regardless of what the conditions are, you can count on the daylight getting noticeably shorter.
Last edited by Urban Snowshoer on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't think there are any mountains in Colorado that can't be climbed anytime between January 1 and December 31.

The only time that it's too late to climb is after you are dead. :wink:

That said, expect very changeable conditions in early October.

Sometimes the mountains are still dry then and it's a really good time to climb. When dry, you can experience near summer conditions.

If there is snow, sometimes conditions are a pain since there often isn't enough snow to ski or snowshoe, and yet there is enough snow to make travel tedious (and maybe icy). The snow tends to be unconsolidated then too. Little Bear should warrant caution in such conditions.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

Not sure if you have seen my Chicago Basin 14ers Trip Report from the very end of September. We managed all 4 14ers but were snowed and rained on as we hiked out. First week of October could be great, or under a foot of snow...50/50, as someone said. Here is a link to my CB report: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

I always go on a bday mountain trip the first week of October, and it always snows in whatever range I'm in. Last year it was 5-6" above treeline in the San Juans, the year before it was 3' in the Elks (that was rough). October is a great (and unpredictable) month for hiking and climbing, just make sure you've got cold weather gear so you're prepared for whatever comes.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

As everyone else said you could have snow or you could have perfect conditions. Last year on Oct. 15 the Sangres were beautiful.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as you have gear for cold weather and are prepared for variable conditions you should be able to climb something. You might just have to be flexible with your choices as your trip approaches.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I would also note that the early snow season is the worst time to climb, unconsolidated snow on top of verglas or rock is the worst conditions, the worst Jerry.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:I would also note that the early snow season is the worst time to climb, unconsolidated snow on top of verglas or rock is the worst conditions, the worst Jerry.
+1
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.