Glad to be almost done with the Front Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Glad to be almost done with the Front Range

Post by gjohnston89 »

Finally drug my happy self out of bed early enough to knock out grays and torreys Saturday. Made the summit of each early enough to only share it with about 6 or 7 people on each. Even got to watch a few people finish up Kelso Ridge while i enjoyed breakfast haha. I'll just be happy to get away from these big crowds hopefully and start some more of the more technical hikes and climbs. What are some of your alls favs for low crowds and moderate (low to mid class 3) hikes out there? Haven't gotten the skills yet to get above anything like the Needle and Longs.
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Glad to be almost done with the Front Range

Post by litote312 »

Pacific's west ridge is a lot of fun, and paired with Atlantic the descent is a breeze. Not an easy class 3 by any means, but highly recommended for solitude. I was alone on my hike and could count 32 on the summit of nearby Quandary... and growing.
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
gjohnston89
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

I did Quandary last weekend and must have passed at least 150 people on my way down at 9 or 10ish. And this weekend on grays and torreys at least 50 to 100 going up at 10 with storms forecast to be coming in at noon.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 56 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

litote312 wrote:Pacific's west ridge is a lot of fun, and paired with Atlantic the descent is a breeze. Not an easy class 3 by any means, but highly recommended for solitude. I was alone on my hike and could count 32 on the summit of nearby Quandary... and growing.
....Pacific's east ridge

It is an amazing route, did it last weekend with some buddies.

Also, check out a book called Colorado scrambles. It'll keep you busy
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

Bierstadt East Ridge is fun if you have not done it yet. More exposed than Kelso Ridge but usually no more than 3 or 4 doing it. I wouldn't try doing the Tour (sawtooth to evans) because it is circus with not much fun left.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Kit Carson Peak: From Challenger Point
Crestone Needle: South Face
Crestone Peak: South Face
El Diente Peak: North Slopes
Longs Peak: Keyhole Route
Maroon Peak: South Ridge
Mt. Eolus: Northeast Ridge
North Eolus: South Ridge
Snowmass Mountain: East Slope
Wetterhorn Peak: Southeast Ridge
Wilson Peak: Southwest Ridge

Of this list of Class 3 14ers, I personally would say that Maroon Peak and Longs Peak are the easiest. If you lack the skills for Longs, the others likely are beyond the difficulty that you should get into unless you have a more skilled/experienced person with you. I would recommend more class 2 peaks until you have the skills and general comfort. Uncompahgre was a personal favorite. When in the area you can also do Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies.
gjohnston89
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

spiderman wrote:Kit Carson Peak: From Challenger Point
Crestone Needle: South Face
Crestone Peak: South Face
El Diente Peak: North Slopes
Longs Peak: Keyhole Route
Maroon Peak: South Ridge
Mt. Eolus: Northeast Ridge
North Eolus: South Ridge
Snowmass Mountain: East Slope
Wetterhorn Peak: Southeast Ridge
Wilson Peak: Southwest Ridge

Of this list of Class 3 14ers, I personally would say that Maroon Peak and Longs Peak are the easiest. If you lack the skills for Longs, the others likely are beyond the difficulty that you should get into unless you have a more skilled/experienced person with you. I would recommend more class 2 peaks until you have the skills and general comfort. Uncompahgre was a personal favorite. When in the area you can also do Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies.
Right on, i actually just did Longs last month and Crestone Needle a couple years ago. Personally i felt far more comfortable on the Needle than on Longs. The route up the Needle and the summit views itself made it easily my favorite mountain I have done.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I would hardly recommend the Needle to someone with no Class 3 experience. It is too easy to end up off-route in Class 4 areas with potential for fatal falls. Same with some of those other peaks where it is possible to find yourself in dangerous situations for someone new to scrambling. The good part of Longs is that it is impossible to get off track with the conga line of people on the route.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

spiderman wrote:I would hardly recommend the Needle to someone with no Class 3 experience. It is too easy to end up off-route in Class 4 areas with potential for fatal falls. Same with some of those other peaks where it is possible to find yourself in dangerous situations for someone new to scrambling. The good part of Longs is that it is impossible to get off track with the conga line of people on the route.
+1. I did the Needle in 2006 and I wasn't ready for it. We mis-navigated on the way down, ended up descending a class 4 dry waterfall, and were lucky to escape with only minor injuries from a short fall. Had we had bad weather on the descent, we could easily have been in a lot of trouble. Not trying to dissuade anyone; it is a beautiful mountain. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. Read especially the threads about a crossover point in a gully. Very important.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
gjohnston89
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

Oh hey i completely agree. I have actually completed the Needle already, maybe a little before i was ready but had some sound climbing partners that day. Longs and the Needle are my only class 3 experiences so far though, and just in my opinion Longs was far worse for me. Idk why, i just felt more stable going up the needle than any point on longs after the keyhole.
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

gjohnston89 wrote:What are some of your alls favs for low crowds and moderate (low to mid class 3) hikes out there? Haven't gotten the skills yet to get above anything like the Needle and Longs.
Not my favorite necessarily, but a nice Class 3 introduction could be the Sawtooth between Bierdstat and Evans. Not too much risk there - I can't agree with the comment about Maroon being one of the easier class 3's, since the rock is incredibly loose and certain sections could easily be class 4 if you don't choose the appropriate route.

The Kelso ridge on Grays is a relatively straightforward Class 3 as well, enjoy your hikes!