Buckeyes in the Rockies

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Strongbow72
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Buckeyes in the Rockies

Post by Strongbow72 »

Hi all...it's been awhile since I have been on this site (not sure why, not big on using my computer all the time I guess). Anyway, it's that time of the year again when several of us from Columbus, Ohio come to the one place we all wish was home to us...Colorado. This year we will be climbing Longs Peak again, as well as running the Rocky Mountain Half Marathon. We're staying in the Estes Park area and will do as much as we can while in the area (fly fish, day hikes, mountain bike, etc).

I always like some first hand knowledge on other "must do's" in the area. We leave this Sunday, will drive all night and arrive Monday morning. We have some planned hikes to acclimate ourselves once we arrive, but any and all suggestions are welcome.

This time we are staying at the Battle Mountain campsite before our ascent to the Longs Peak summit. This will be a nice change, although we will still get up early enough to beat most crowds...I hope.

Hopefully we'll see some of you while we are out and about, as well as during the half marathon.

Have a great weekend and we can't wait to be at our home away from home.

Cheers!
tnorman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Buckeyes in the Rockies

Post by tnorman »

Sweet. I moved from Columbus, Ohio 5 years ago to Denver. Nice to seem some Buckeyes roaming the trails! Wish I had some suggestions, but I'm working too much and don't get much chance to get out (not what I planned but it's reality right now). Enjoy this lovely state!
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

If you want to avoid crowds on Longs and haven't looked into it yet I'd recommend the Loft route up and keyhole down. It's much less traveled and, in my opinion, more fun. You can even hit Meeker, which is a fun climb to a really sweet summit. I'd say the Loft is only slightly harder than the keyhole.

Grand Lake is one of my favorite mountain towns and worth a visit if you have time. From there, you can go on a number of day hikes. A good one is Lulu City which passes along the headwaters of the Colorado and goes past the site of an old ghost town! The drive over Trail Ridge never gets old.

You really can't go wrong with whatever you decide on doing. Have a great trip!
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

Good luck! I moved to Denver 3 years ago after I graduated from Ohio State. Sounds like an awesome time!

I'm currently vacationing in Jackson Hole and hiked Middle Teton today. We got probably 4 "OH!"s while hiking. Even though we did pass a group of 6 graduates from TSUN. Always love seeing/hearing Buckeyes on the trails!
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
peterkfes
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by peterkfes »

Hello to fellow Buckeye fourteener lovers! Born, raised, and residing in the greater Boston area, did my graduate work at Ohio State. Enjoy your return trip up Longs, my trek to the summit is the signature climb of my 27 to date and I have it on the list as my capstone climb when this adventure finally ends.

Every summit marker photo I take includes my small stuffed Brutus mascot seated next to the marker...Go Bucks! That said, I've also thoroughly enjoyed meeting and talking with Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, and so many other fans on the trails. While I hike alone as a means of relaxing and escaping life for a few weeks each year, the people I meet on the mountains make the day that much more rewarding.

I'm driving out in two weeks with Crestone Peak on this year's list. Hope to run into a fellow Buckeye or two on the Red Gully...and any other university fan as well.

A shout out to Bill for bringing us all together on this website, the effort is greatly appreciated.
hoff_hikes
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hoff_hikes »

Good luck on your trip. I left Columbus 4 years ago and have been enjoying every minute of being in Colorado. When I do see hikers wearing Ohio State hats, etc., I will shout out 'OH' even though my hiking partner is a TUN graduate. Have fun, be safe and enjoy the Rocky Mountain Half Marathon. I did it a few years back and it was a blast.
YonderMountain
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YonderMountain »

O-H! Hope your week in this great state has been going well! Good luck on the Half Marathon.

Was born and raised in Columbus, went to OU in Athens for college and been in Colorado for the past 14 years. Love going back to see my family, buckeye games along the Olentangy River and Tommy's Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsaTdeknLHw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;