Is Castle actually enjoyable?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Deege
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is Castle actually enjoyable?

Post by Deege »

I have no intention of highjacking the Castle comments...and I agree that it is a fun one. However, if you were looking at the Sawatch for a particular reason, I might suggest Harvard and/or Columbia FROM FRENCHMAN'S CREEK. This route is described in the Roach book and a few trip reports here. The trailhead is accessible just off of US 24 north of BV (but you will need 4x4 and clearance to reach the upper TH). Camping sites at the crossing with the Colorado Trail and at/around a meadow just before treeline. Water was abundant. The trails to both Harvard and Columbia largely disappear above treeline and make for fun route-finding. Short scrambles to each peak, but the traverse would certainly give you a scrambling opportunity if the weather holds. We saw three others on a Sunday climb a few weeks ago and appreciated the isolation. Just a thought...and not to take away from Castle.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

huffy13 wrote:
AyeYo wrote:Looking to do a camp and hike this weekend. Was originally thinking of Belford/Oxford, but then wanted something with a more interesting route than "climb straight up that big hill".
Actually, the Bel/Ox combo can be much more than just a slog up the hill if you want to ascend via Elkhead Pass and then you can descend via Belford's standard route down the switchbacks or you can just take the gentler, more scenic route back down the way you came. I agree Belford's standard route is a hellish slog, but we descended from Elkhead Pass and loved it, wished we had ascended that way. When I go back to get Oxford that is the route I am taking, plus I am planning on getting an early enough start that I can go ahead and get Missouri from it's standard route while I am at it.
Any link or more info on that? I'm not terribly familiar with the area and all the routes on this site are via Missouri Gulch.
sarahhaubert
14ers: 40  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sarahhaubert »

I brought my dog on Castle/Conundrum and spent the whole time checking her paws and wishing I hadn't brought her. While she was fine, as we live in the mtns and she is a great scrambler and has a strong built up tolerance to talus, I wouldn't do it again. I also saw a significant amount of blood on the route at one point. The scenery is epic, the route was ok, and I told all of my friends immediately after to not make the same mistake I did and bring their dog.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

AyeYo wrote:
huffy13 wrote:
Actually, the Bel/Ox combo can be much more than just a slog up the hill if you want to ascend via Elkhead Pass and then you can descend via Belford's standard route down the switchbacks or you can just take the gentler, more scenic route back down the way you came. I agree Belford's standard route is a hellish slog, but we descended from Elkhead Pass and loved it, wished we had ascended that way. When I go back to get Oxford that is the route I am taking, plus I am planning on getting an early enough start that I can go ahead and get Missouri from it's standard route while I am at it.
Any link or more info on that? I'm not terribly familiar with the area and all the routes on this site are via Missouri Gulch.
Still Missouri Gulch. Hike up the standard route, but keep going past the Belford turnoff as if you are headed toward Missouri. There is another fork at the sign/turn-off for Missouri, and if you hang a left, it will take you up Elkhead Pass. You can see the easy slopes if you look at the topo map.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Deege wrote:I have no intention of highjacking the Castle comments...and I agree that it is a fun one. However, if you were looking at the Sawatch for a particular reason, I might suggest Harvard and/or Columbia FROM FRENCHMAN'S CREEK. This route is described in the Roach book and a few trip reports here. The trailhead is accessible just off of US 24 north of BV (but you will need 4x4 and clearance to reach the upper TH). Camping sites at the crossing with the Colorado Trail and at/around a meadow just before treeline. Water was abundant. The trails to both Harvard and Columbia largely disappear above treeline and make for fun route-finding. Short scrambles to each peak, but the traverse would certainly give you a scrambling opportunity if the weather holds. We saw three others on a Sunday climb a few weeks ago and appreciated the isolation. Just a thought...and not to take away from Castle.
I overlooked this one. Thanks for the suggestion. I have his book, I'll have to find this when I get home.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

AyeYo wrote:
huffy13 wrote:
AyeYo wrote:Looking to do a camp and hike this weekend. Was originally thinking of Belford/Oxford, but then wanted something with a more interesting route than "climb straight up that big hill".
You basically ascend the standard route until you come to a sign that sends you to Belford or to Elkhead Pass. It's pretty straightforward. The Elkhead Pass route takes you to Missouri's standard route, but afain, there is another sign that sends you to either the pass or up Missouri. The trail is very well defined and a lot less strenuous that Belford's switchbacks. Let me check my computer and see if I have a picture of the trail junctions and the signs. I'll post them if I can find them.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
STIBungy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by STIBungy »

Hiking the 4wd road was not fun.
aleugers
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aleugers »

I did Castle & Conundrum and Tab West Ridge last year.

I thought the Castle & Conundrum combo was a lot of fun. We parked at the Pearl Pass junction but if I did it again I'd drive all the way up to enjoy more time on the summits and less time walking the road. One thing though is that the OP mentioned being worried about the drive up to the West Ridge of Tab TH. That drive is significantly easier than the drive up any part of the Castle TH. Castle would be a long hike if you're walking the full road. The scenery and a small amount of scrambling at the top was tons of fun though and at this point I think C&C were my favorites so far. As far as the dog thing you may want to make sure you take a good harness. I ran into a hiker who was having issues getting his dog down a small scrambling section and he ended up lowering him down to me. The harness was helpful. Castle was a lot of rocks under foot which is one of the main reasons I'd drive to the top.

For Tab's West Ridge we did end up camping. There were lots of sites about a mile before you reach the actual trailhead. We had a larger group of about 4-5 tents. There were spots along the road for large and small groups. Overall I didn't think the drive was too bad up the road but I was in an Xterra and didn't worry at all. It was certainly a little rough but one in our group did drive his Forester up to the actual trailhead and didn't seem to be scraping the bottom too much. The scenery and solitude on the hike was great.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I haven't looked to see if the glissade from the Castle-Conundrum saddle is still in this year, but both times I've done it, it's been a highlight of my summer.
This is from June 2008.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

AnnaG22 wrote:
AyeYo wrote:
huffy13 wrote:
Still Missouri Gulch. Hike up the standard route, but keep going past the Belford turnoff as if you are headed toward Missouri. There is another fork at the sign/turn-off for Missouri, and if you hang a left, it will take you up Elkhead Pass. You can see the easy slopes if you look at the topo map.

This is spot on....I remember the first sign sending you to Elkhead Pass rather than Belford's switchbacks is not long after getting above treeline and the second sign is obvious too.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

huffy13 wrote:You basically ascend the standard route until you come to a sign that sends you to Belford or to Elkhead Pass. It's pretty straightforward. The Elkhead Pass route takes you to Missouri's standard route, but afain, there is another sign that sends you to either the pass or up Missouri. The trail is very well defined and a lot less strenuous that Belford's switchbacks. Let me check my computer and see if I have a picture of the trail junctions and the signs. I'll post them if I can find them.

I got it just from looking at the topo, thanks. Didn't realize that area between Missouri and Belford was Elk head. That looks easily doable and better than the switchbacks. Now I feel like I have too many good options lol.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I don't know why everyone hates on the Belford switchbacks so much! Personally, I found them to be kind of fun (I like counting things, and also trails where you gain elevation quickly).

I do, however, agree that going back via Elkhead Pass is a better option, and also makes for a nice lollipop-type loop.