Horn Fork Basin water

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Peakbagger34
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Horn Fork Basin water

Post by Peakbagger34 »

I'm going to camp overnight in Horn Fork Basin and was wondering if there is water source near to purify for drinking. Just want to pack less in when I go. Thanks
starsstuff
14ers: 36  5 
13ers: 26 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horn Fork Basin water

Post by starsstuff »

Yes, lots of water. Was just up there. There's a stream the whole way and a couple alpine lakes and waterfalls. There's a lot of willows, but there were people fishing so you can get to the water.

The wildflowers were in full bloom and some mountain goats around. Didn't notice a problem with mosquitoes, but I didn't stay the night. Enjoy! It's beautiful up there.
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singin',
You're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky
(Summertime, lyrics by DuBose Heyward)
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Horn Fork Basin water

Post by tobiasfunke »

There is more water and more streams up there than just about any other peak I've been on. We refilled from two separate streams and probably crossed a total of 15 while doing the Columbia-Harvard loop.