Crestones

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestones

Post by jrs1965 »

Maximillion wrote:Can someone please reply what the actual recent conditions are for the Crestones? The replies above seem to be pure speculation, though granted they are likely correct. Still I'd rather make my own choice based on what conditions actually are versus cautionary "this is what they probably are".

Looking to do summer-ish climbs of Humboldt and the Needle next weekend. The peak I'd wouldn't dream that it'd be ready yet. Humboldt sounds to be summer ready, however have not seen anything for the Needle in some time. Any actual observations would be appreciated. Thx.
Yeah, I know many here do not frequent the 14ers.com fb page but "Lisa Bach" posted a few pics this morning from Humboldt peak showing the Crestones and Broken Hand...
woody8742
14ers: 38  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by woody8742 »

https://goo.gl/photos/3eJEmzPNjKZq9kwL9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taken this morning. It does not look like summer has hit the Crestones yet.

(Uploading to the forum from my phone didn't work out)
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

On the other hand Kit Carson Avenue looks reasonably close to melted out. It's pretty unseasonably hot.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

I am currently looking at the Crestones right now....I'm in Penitente Canyon. Little snow remains on the western exposures,which is the side I can see from my campsite. It's very warm here and expected to get much warmer over the next 4 to 5 days. Expect rapid melt.....
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
walsheesh
Trip Reports (0)

Post by walsheesh »

Thanks One by One, thats great info, It confirms were I considered going with this. I hope for more info about conditions a little closer to July.
tjustinn
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjustinn »

Two Questions:
1) I run track and field for a college (sprints) but have been hiking 14ers recently. I've done, Belford/Oxford, Elbert, Evans, DeCaLiBron, and am doing Pikes relatively soon and they didn't seem that hard. How difficult would it be to do the Crestone Needle?
2) How is the snow cover/what gear is necessary. I have trekking poles and that's about it.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

tjustinn wrote:Two Questions:
1) I run track and field for a college (sprints) but have been hiking 14ers recently. I've done, Belford/Oxford, Elbert, Evans, DeCaLiBron, and am doing Pikes relatively soon and they didn't seem that hard. How difficult would it be to do the Crestone Needle?
2) How is the snow cover/what gear is necessary. I have trekking poles and that's about it.
The most recent status for any peak can usually be found on the peak conditions page: http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_main.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Trekking poles wouldn't be sufficient for either Crestone right now. Looks like the Needle standard route itself is dry but Broken Hand Pass is still snowy. There's still snow on Crestone Peak in the Red Gully.

As for difficulty, doing the Needle or the Peak (or both) from the trailhead in a day would definitely be physically harder than any of those you've done. Most people backpack in to South Colony Lakes and do 1, 2, or all 3 in that group.

The more challenging peaks are called that because of their technical nature, not necessarily the length. Which on top of the mental concentration of the scrambling, makes them physically more taxing despite their length. And sometimes the technical peaks have long approaches on top of that, that many people do as backpacking approaches.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

FWIW - I did both the Needle and the Peak as separate day trips a couple years back and they make for long days. The Peak was more exhausting for me - coming back up BHP was a real bear. But I imagine you are in shape to do it as I do have a few years on you (understatement...) and it sounds like you are in good shape. But one piece of equipment you DO need is a helmet. Don't consider doing either one of those mountains without one.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

ezabielski wrote:
tjustinn wrote:Two Questions:
The most recent status for any peak can usually be found on the peak conditions page: http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_main.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Trekking poles wouldn't be sufficient for either Crestone right now. Looks like the Needle standard route itself is dry but Broken Hand Pass is still snowy. There's still snow on Crestone Peak in the Red Gully.

As for difficulty, doing the Needle or the Peak (or both) from the trailhead in a day would definitely be physically harder than any of those you've done. Most people backpack in to South Colony Lakes and do 1, 2, or all 3 in that group.

The more challenging peaks are called that because of their technical nature, not necessarily the length. Which on top of the mental concentration of the scrambling, makes them physically more taxing despite their length. And sometimes the technical peaks have long approaches on top of that, that many people do as backpacking approaches.
For question #1, Crestone Needle is WAY harder than any others you have listed, especially if you were going to try a one day climb. Even if you were planning on camping overnight at South Colony Lakes, it is still WAY harder. (Not trying to scare you off, but I speak from the exact experience you are describing circa 2006.)
You didn't ask about the Needle/Peak traverse, but it is one of the 4 major traverses in CO, IMO not something to even think about unless you have done lots of class 3/4 climbing at high altitudes.

I can't speak for #2. We climbed the Needle in late July in a year of low snowfall, so there was no snow and almost no water on the rocks even.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

I climbed the Needle on the 4th. An axe for the pass is the safe way to go. After the pass, the standard route is snow free. I found the climbing in the east and west gullies to be sustained class 3 with rockfall being a concern especially if there are climbers above. Using a helmet makes sense. I had a potato sized hold pop off in my left hand and had to release it quickly to grab another hold causing the potato to go bouncing down the gully as I yelled "rock." Luckily, no other climbers on the route.

Missing the gully transition or otherwise getting off route will possibly put you in stressful terrain. Climbing this route with someone who's done it before and has experience with class 3 and 4 climbing is a good way to gain experience and make this climb safer.

Good luck. The area around the lakes is stunning!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."