3D Printed Peak models

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RonfarZ3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

3D Printed Peak models

Post by RonfarZ3 »

Last night I took an introductory course on 3D printing from the Makerspace in Manitou Springs and an idea came to mind: what if I could use the topographical data of the 14ers to print 3D models of them?

Obviously I'm still new to the 3D printing scene, but I was wondering if anyone in these forums would have some experience with extracting topo data (like from Google Earth) that could then be used to eventually create an STL file for a 3D printer.

I've found the forum thread on the 3D models Bill made for the site, and there's a few "how to's" that seem to provide a good series of steps, I just wondered if anyone has tried to do the 14ers yet and could share their experiences.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3D Printed Peak models

Post by nsaladin »

RonfarZ3 wrote:Last night I took an introductory course on 3D printing from the Makerspace in Manitou Springs and an idea came to mind: what if I could use the topographical data of the 14ers to print 3D models of them?

Obviously I'm still new to the 3D printing scene, but I was wondering if anyone in these forums would have some experience with extracting topo data (like from Google Earth) that could then be used to eventually create an STL file for a 3D printer.

I've found the forum thread on the 3D models Bill made for the site, and there's a few "how to's" that seem to provide a good series of steps, I just wondered if anyone has tried to do the 14ers yet and could share their experiences.
You mean something like this, but with a plastic of some sort?

http://precisionpeaks.com/colorado-14ers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RonfarZ3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RonfarZ3 »

Precisely.
I'm looking to make something a bit smaller and without some of the "edges" so it sits flush on a desk.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

WSJ had an article on someone doing this, not sure but it may have been:

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160303- ... hikes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is John Galt
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

If you find anything let me know.
Either plans or method for conversion for a CNC mill or for a 3-d printer, I'm definitely interested.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I haven't seen these in person, but Dad Mike has used this company out of Leadville to make him some peaks to commemorate some finisher goals. They look pretty cool to me.
http://precisionpeaks.com/we-scale-mountains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Seems like it should be easy enough to convert topo data into whatever 3d model a 3d printer uses. What's the format? You sure hillmap or caltopo won't let you do this?

The sweetest thing would be 3d-printed maps that you could tile together. Like a 6 inch on a side model covering a fraction of a quad.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
MapperMan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MapperMan »

Looks like this guy is creating 3d prints like you are interested in. The color looks better than most of the plastic models normally see.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/smartmaps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

A thought to consider is the actual printer you are planning on using. I bring this up because the resolution of the 3D Printer varies depending on the model. Using a Objet 30 would produce a much smoother model than using a Lulzbot Mini. As for a way to print it, there seems to be several programs written that transcribe .kmz to .stl; on the webernet; give them a shot!
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

You're definitely making Bross, right?
uber_franz
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uber_franz »

I realize it's been a while, but ran across this video recently...

https://youtu.be/bSNy9iUqDbI

Cheers!
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Precision Peaks needs to put out a *choss line* with maybe something like Heisshorn as their flagship model.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs