Need Advice - Humboldt, Holy Cross, or Longs in July

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve J
14ers: 5 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Need Advice - Humboldt, Holy Cross, or Longs in July

Post by Steve J »

We got back from our trip on Tuesday. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave advice while I was planning. From the last post, some trip details changed, including what and when we would be hiking. I hiked La Plata last Thursday morning after getting into CO the night before and it was a lot harder for me than Longs Peak. I know it's because I'm not in the shape I was back in 2012 when I did Longs. I was a firefighter out in the Black Hills where I was at least hiking in some form a few times a week and at a higher elevation than the 800 ft where I'm at in Missouri. Made it in about four hours. The hike itself was straightforward and route finding not bad even after the trail was less defined on the ridge. The final ridge above 13,500 ft is what kicked my butt. I'm thankful I was able to summit and come away from the hike knowing how I need to train for next time.

The hike up to La Plata and the Hayden Pass Fire (no smartphone to check updates) had me rethinking Humboldt as my wife's introduction to 14ers. I did not want to ruin her experience by trying a hike I myself would have found difficult. With that said I decided on doing Biersdadt Monday morning. We were on the trail by 0300 and reached the summit just before the sun came over Mt. Evans around 0550. (How does that time compare to someone who is in shape and hikes often? Just curious) We went at my wife's pace and stopped whenever she needed to catch her breath and rest. The sunrise and views were amazing. The whole area is great. My wife said she didn't enjoy the hike up until she caught a second wind at the boulder field...neither of us prepared like we could have (not much cardio #-o ). She did say that the hike was worth it and the views of the sunrise were some of the most amazing she had ever seen. We spent about 20 minutes on the top until the wind picked up and made it pretty cold. The decent wasn't bad and made me glad we left so early as we passed at least a hundred or so people making there way up. We had shared the summit with another couple and a solo hiker.

Now that my wife has had time to reflect on the experience, she said she would definitely do more 14ers as long as we train more beforehand. I agree! Anyway, just figured I would let you guys who helped know how it all turned out. Can't wait to get back out there next summer or even sooner if time permits.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Need Advice - Humboldt, Holy Cross, or Longs in July

Post by fahixson »

Steve J wrote:How does that time compare to someone who is in shape and hikes often? Just curious
Congrats Steve! I don't remember my Bierstadt times off the top of my head, but I'd guess two to three hours is about the normal average. Certainly, there are fast folks out there and others that are trying to push their pace for training/races, but for typical summer weekend hikers, I think your 2:50 time is pretty close to the average. You were right at 1,000'/hr if I'm doing the math right. That's the number I use to plan my start times. Again, nice job and hope you're able to make it back soon.