Long's Peak current conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisAthey
Trip Reports (0)

Long's Peak current conditions

Post by ChrisAthey »

I'm hoping to climb Long's Peak this winter as the winter seems more gentle than others. In reading trip reports it sounds pretty clean going through the Keyhole route, but I'm curious about the snow pack, and avalanche danger Long's has historically had. Does it seem that most of the avalanche danger is minimal this winter due to the windswept conditions? I'm also curious if Long's in the winter needs to be treated more as a overnight climb, or if it's still doable in a day?

Thanks!
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Long's Peak current conditions

Post by pbakwin »

Indeed conditions have been much drier than normal due to lack of snowfall and persistent, very strong wind. Conditions have been really quite good/fast (for winter) on the Keyhole and Loft routes, when the wind isn't knocking you down. We also climbed the NW Couloir 10 days ago, using microspikes the whole way (though often even that was overkill). I do know that there has been several inches of snow Monday and today (plus WIND), so things may have changed some. Is Longs doable in a day in winter? Yes, certainly. It's a slower than summer, but if you're comfortable with these conditions it's not vastly slower.

Note that CAIC has the Front Range listed as LOW avy danger at all altitudes, and has been for several days.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

As of Sunday, the Loft Route is fairly snow-free - or at least most of the snow is avoidable - I opted to avoid most snow, and just climb the slabby ledges to the climber's L. I would get a early start, as the snow field below the Notch is always something I find a little problematic, given the nice steep slabs below it. I didn't want to post hole in it, so I opted to go as high as possible and traverse right below the final cliffband. Homestretch is almost completely snow free. Descended via Cables, which is easy going until the last coupla meters, where I had to put on crampons again to get to the eyebolt. Cables itself is almost dry.

Pretty slow going, I thought, which I think was because of the warm snow conditions, and because I brought too much gear. It was almost 11 hours for me up there, which is nuts. I've routinely done harder routes on Longs in half the time.

I found an axe/crampons pretty handy. Spikes could be nice below treeline.

And yeah, windy.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Chris,
As to the day climb question, my vote is to do it as a day climb if you are fit enough to do so. I've done it several times as a winter day climb and it's a long day (pun intended) but by no means a herculean task. Start early, have a good weather forecast and of course have a good headlamp. The problem with Longs as a winter overnighter is that the bulk of your travel will be well above treeline. If you camp in the trees you just don't save much time/distance. If you hump all the gear needed for a winter overnight up to the Boulderfield, note that Longs is notoriously windy in the winter, making the likelihood of a good night's sleep probably pretty slim, not to mention the pre-summit fatigue of having hauled all that gear up there. If you nonetheless choose to camp there, I'd recommend collapsing and securing your tent before leaving for the summit, or at least having it really well tied off. You might be just fine, but the winter winds up there can be quite impressive.

Good luck on your climb, Longs in winter is a special place.

-Tom
Eagle Eye
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Eagle Eye »

Don't forget about these two as winter routes (from the west/and south) Trough Couloir from Glacier Gorge TH, and Keplingers Couloir from Wild Basin/Copeland Lake TH.
Best Regards!
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Hey, anyone have the mileage for Glacier Gorge?
pbakwin wrote:NW Couloir 10 days ago, using microspikes the whole way
Is that the one between the Keyhole and the trough?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

jmanner wrote:Hey, anyone have the mileage for Glacier Gorge?
pbakwin wrote:NW Couloir 10 days ago, using microspikes the whole way
Is that the one between the Keyhole and the trough?
Trough route via Glacier Gorge: 11.6 miles RT (http://www.summitpost.org/longs-peak-vi ... ude/492116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... not my trip report)
That said, I have done it and the effort level is entirely dependent on snow conditions and recent travel. If you get a packed trail to Black Lake and firm snow beyond, it may not be too bad. I've had times though where no one had gone beyond Mills Lake and we were sinking into deep snow even with snowshoes.

Most I've seen that try to do this camp at/near Black Lake.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

The NW Couloir Route is indeed the one between the Keyhole and the Trough. 4th class/low 5th depending on the exact line you take, one of my favorite routes. I wouldn't, however, do it in really high wind, I thought the exit onto the summit was low angle but a bit exposed. Wouldn't want to get blown off balance up there. But a beautiful, thought provoking route.

-Tom
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

From a pure amount of effort expended, doing it as a day trip is so much better than an overnighter in winter time. Just start early, stay moving and you will stay warm. Overnighting all your stuff to the boulderfield and waking up freezing freaking cold and getting moving just sucks.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I'm just going to say that if you want to do Longs in winter this weekend looks like a fantastic opportunity. Conditions are great, weather forecast is great. Microspikes and maybe an ice ax would pretty much do it (for the Keyhole Route). Plus, "winter" only lasts for another 16 days!
ChrisAthey
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisAthey »

Thanks everyone! Definitely appreciate the insight and advice!