14ers in last week of May 2016

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
embracestardumb
Trip Reports (0)

14ers in last week of May 2016

Post by embracestardumb »

I got some time off from May 21-June 1. I would be driving from Southern California and would like to make the most of my time out there bagging as many 14ers as I can within safety and time constraints. I don't have crampons but am prepared with microspikes thanks to an early October trip up Mt. Whitey. What are some recommendations for class 1-2 hikes and class 3 climbs? I was reading I could do a loop and hit Mt. Lincoln, Mt. Democrat, and Bross in a day. I'm not affected by altitude and am in good shape. Also, I have a Nissan Armada 2wd if that makes any difference in getting to trail heads and parking but can get chains if necessary. Thanks.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: 14ers in last week of May 2016

Post by bmcqueen »

Certainly depends how spring snowfall shakes out, but usually you'll be able to get to summer trailheads by then. There will still be snow on the peaks, but spikes should be fine on any of the class 1 and 2 peaks. DeCaLiBron is a good option. Virtually the whole Sawatch Range is class 1 and 2 peaks, so you could get your fill there pretty easily. If you are looking at Class 3 stuff, I'd strongly encourage an investment in crampons as that is still late-spring snow season on the tougher peaks/routes.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

There is significant snow at this time 4 out of 5 years. You may want to bring some sort of flotation too avoid postholing.
Gaiters and water resistant boots because there could be some deep streams. And mud, mud, mud.
South approach trails melt out faster than other sides.
There is a push to plow the popular passes the Friday before Memorial Day, but they dont always succeed in deep snow years.
We wont know such until early May.

And Quandry and Elbert to your list.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

The New Mexico Sangres melt out a week or two before Colorado does. Further south even earlier. Might want to consider there.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
embracestardumb
Trip Reports (0)

So I never made it to Colorado. I did the Rae lakes loop during this time. Solid snowpack above 10,000ft and frozen lakes still. I also just completed the JMT two weeks ago. Now I'm planning earlier for next year a trip to Colorado to bag as many 14er's in 10 days as I can, under class 4. I am also considering doing a 10 day 14er trip in California. Anyone else have like a 10 day itinerary to knock out some Colorado 14er's?
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Black Bear »

Honestly I would just look up some of the 14ers that you really want to summit and do those. When you come and try to "bag" as many peaks as possible it really takes away from the adventure and beauty of it all because you are focused on getting each peak done as quickly as possible instead of enjoying the peak.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

embracestardumb wrote: Anyone else have like a 10 day itinerary to knock out some Colorado 14er's?
Here's a 10 day itinerary

http://www.climbing.com/news/andrew-ham ... ed-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

^+1 =D>
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

Not sure your dates of travel (and thus weather issues), that aside I recently completed a seven day loop - Lake City for Handies, Red Cloud & sunshine; then Salida for Princeton, Shavano, and Belford/Oxford. you could base in lake city and also hit Uncomph. and Wetterhorn, and from Salida add Antero, Columbia, Harvard, La Plata, Massive, Elbert.
Who is John Galt
embracestardumb
Trip Reports (0)

So from what research I've done, this is a very rough draft and I'm sure I'm missed the true mileage and gains and stuff but just for kicks here it is, let me know what you think:
Mt massive Southwest slope-3,950gain, 8mi
Mt Elbert northeast ridge-4,700gain, 9mi
La plata southwest ridge-3380gain, 7 mi

Mt Belford and Oxford-5,800gaon, 11mi
Camp and junction then do Missouri mtn-4,500gain, 10.5 miles northwest ridge

Harvard and Columbia traverse-6,100gain, 15 miles

Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, bross-3,700gain, 7.25mi
Quandary east slope-3,450gain, 6.75 miles

Bierstadt, sawtooth, Evans-3,900gain, 10.25mi
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Getting to Mt Massive SW slope TH in May with 2WD may be iffy. The standard route is longer but is right across the road from the Mt Elbert route you chose.
As for Belford, Oxford, Missouri, you could hike in and camp about 11,000ft then climb all 3 on the same day - looks like you may have that planned.
Sherman is another good option if you're looking for an easier day in there. It also allows for a few 13er add-ons as well.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev