quandary winter overnight camp/summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lsuandy12
Trip Reports (0)

quandary winter overnight camp/summit

Post by lsuandy12 »

Hello all. My girlfriend and I are making a trip to Colorado March 3-march 13 to go skiing and also wanted to do a little winter hiking/camping. My plan was to park at the trailhead and set up the tent under treeline, camp for one night and wake up early next morning and summit. I recently found out that there is no overnight parking at the trailhead, so I was wondering what other options I might have. We've spent a lot of money on brand new mountain hardwear 4 season tent, sleeping bags, and new packs, so I really wanted to make an overnight camp during our trip. Are there any other places near to park a vehicle? Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: quandary winter overnight camp/summit

Post by jeffth5 »

lsuandy12 wrote:Hello all. My girlfriend and I are making a trip to Colorado March 3-march 13 to go skiing and also wanted to do a little winter hiking/camping. My plan was to park at the trailhead and set up the tent under treeline, camp for one night and wake up early next morning and summit. I recently found out that there is no overnight parking at the trailhead, so I was wondering what other options I might have. We've spent a lot of money on brand new mountain hardwear 4 season tent, sleeping bags, and new packs, so I really wanted to make an overnight camp during our trip. Are there any other places near to park a vehicle? Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Hoosier Pass just a couple of miles up the road is a good spot - see here for details: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few 13ers off of Hoosier Pass or you could simply pack up and drive the couple miles back down to Quandary.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

I actually camped at Hoosier Pass a couple weeks ago. Was woken by many a CDOT plow and either a state trooper or county deputy checked up on me to make sure I was OK.
They had no problem with me camping at Hoosier Pass. They just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to freeze to death at +4F.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

lsuandy12 wrote:Hello all. My girlfriend and I are making a trip to Colorado March 3-march 13 to go skiing and also wanted to do a little winter hiking/camping. My plan was to park at the trailhead and set up the tent under treeline, camp for one night and wake up early next morning and summit. I recently found out that there is no overnight parking at the trailhead, so I was wondering what other options I might have. We've spent a lot of money on brand new mountain hardwear 4 season tent, sleeping bags, and new packs, so I really wanted to make an overnight camp during our trip. Are there any other places near to park a vehicle? Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Nearby Hoosier Pass is a far better option. There was a large camp-out last November during our annual winter welcomer. For more info, take a look at this thread. You will need to scroll down a bit and look for a post from "globreal":
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... r&start=72

Also, here is a Google Maps satellite view of the area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3618356 ... a=!3m1!1e3

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
lsuandy12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lsuandy12 »

Thanks a lot for the information. I looked at the post listed above and also at google maps and I think Hoosier is definitely where we will park, and then set up camp somewhere nearby. We each have trail crampons but haven't decided on snowshoes yet. I'd hate to buy a $200 dollar pair and not need them. Also, how is cell phone reception/imternet in that area? I'll be bringing a topo map and handheld GPS, but also may want to look at our location by phone. Any other information you think we might could benefit from would be greatly appreciated. We are from Louisiana and have done lots of hiking/camping, buy this will be out first 14er together. As for gear, we are very well prepared, probably over prepared but I know being unprepared in 0 degree temps at 11000ft could be deadly for two 27 year olds from baton rouge, Louisiana. We have a brand new mountain hardwear trango 2 tent, both have zero degree name brand down bags, each have a $400 down jacket and down pants, each have foam sleeping mat AND insulated inflated mat, sleeping bag liner that supposedly adds 15-25 degrees, snow shovel, crampons, etc. We have pretty much all of our gear covered, and then some. But I want me girlfriend to be comfortable and not get cold and miserable, because I would like this to start being a yearly trip, so this first one needs to go well. Thanks a lot for reading this and I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks again.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

You didnt mention the winter preparations for your vehicle. You'll be going over mountain passes whether you approach from the north or the south and its snows about half of the days of week at this time of year. Foremost is good tire tread which the police have gotten picky about in recent years. All wheel drive is helpful but not necessary. Cold weather battery, antifreeze radiator, antifreeze windshield fluid, good wipers. You camping gear doubles for digging out or staying warm if you get stranded.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'd hate to buy a $200 dollar pair and not need them.
You can rent them for not much money.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CorduroyCalves »

When did it become prohibited to park overnight at the Quandary trailhead?
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
lsuandy12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lsuandy12 »

Good tips on the vehicle. I'll be renting a fwd car in baton rouge and brining a set of chains with us. I'm hoping that chains and good tread on the front wheel drive will be sufficient. And about not being able to park overnight at the trailhead, I don't know for sure. I just saw someones post recently about not being able to park overnight. I would definitely appreciate it if someone could confirm. Also I'm thinking about bringing one pair of snowshoes, for me to break trail if necessary. Would that work ok? For me to be in front with snowshoes and my girlfriend trailing with just trail crampons? Id just hate to come all that way and not be able to walk through deep snow without post holing and wearing myself out.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

lsuandy12 wrote:Also I'm thinking about bringing one pair of snowshoes, for me to break trail if necessary. Would that work ok? For me to be in front with snowshoes and my girlfriend trailing with just trail crampons?
I wouldn't recommend it. What will happen is, unless your GF is like 1/3 your weight, she will posthole right through your snowshoe tracks. Because, P=F/A. If conditions are such that snowshoes are needed, you will both want them.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I took my girlfriend/future wife on a winter camping trip, worst decision ever, just get a hotel room and go hiking during the day.
lsuandy12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lsuandy12 »

Haha na can't do that. We've spent thousands on new gear already, so we're puting it all to good use. She's really tough and doesn't complain and loves hiking and camping, so as long as I can keep her warm, she'll be fine. My luck though it'll be sub zero the night we decide to camp and 30mph winds. But I know we're gonna have a good time, this will be the most prepared I've ever been on any short camping trip I've ever been on, that's for sure. I'd be willing to bet that with the tent, bivvys, sleeping pads and bags we have, and fully clothed inside the tent and sleeping bags, it could get to minus ten or so and we'll be fine.