Mt Lindsey Near the End of January

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Mt Lindsey Near the End of January

Post by youngk2844 »

I'm planning on climbing Mt Lindsey the 4th weekend in January if conditions look good. Anyone else planning a trip up Lindsey that weekend? I'll be solo and always appreciate a good snowshoe trench. :)
nickgendill
14ers: 46  7 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Lindsey Near the End of January

Post by nickgendill »

Are you planning on doing it Saturday the 23rd? I would join if conditions are cooperative!
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Just curious.. with the mudslide this year, does the trail still start in the same area in the winter?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
youngk2844
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

I believe the TH starts in the same place. I'm planning for a 22 mile round trip. I'll hike in on Friday. Set up camp in the basin. Go for the summit on Saturday and hike out Sunday.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

XterraRob wrote:Just curious.. with the mudslide this year, does the trail still start in the same area in the winter?
This is correct. You need to park just below the Singing River Ranch and hike the road. Expect about 22 miles and about 5,400 vertical. Although often the lower section of the road through the ranch is dry, which aids you a lot. But once you get close to the Zapata TH, expect lots of deep snow in the shade of all the trees all the way into the high basin below Iron Nipple.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

You can park in Huerfano State Wildlife Area park shown on the NatGeo/TrailsIllus' map #138. The USGS quad maps don't show it, but the below does. If you reach SRR (private), you'll need to double back about a mile.
http://cpw.state.co.us/swa/Huerfano%20SWA
Also check out the updates and photos for Huerfano/Lily Lake Trailhead (menu top of page) back to July. It's a 2WD dirt road in summer to get to where the closure is now.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
youngk2844
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

Thanks Tallgrass.
youngk2844
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

So.... has anyone been up Lindsey lately? Any news on snow conditions? I'm looking at a summit attempt this Sunday via NW Ridge. Hopefully, the ridge will be dry.