Summiting Mt Evans vs trekking 15 miles on beach?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CoopAir
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summiting Mt Evans vs trekking 15 miles on beach?

Post by CoopAir »

SkaredShtles wrote:I shall not tolerate such rubbish. Good day, sir!
LOL :lol: I can PROMISE you that I will make up for the lack of drinking on the trek, that night back at the lodge! Just wayyyyy too much at stake for me to risk not completing this. I mean, to me at least, this is the Bahamas equivilant to summiting Denali :-D

3 days after I complete this trek, I am going to take on one that is even more out there! This one will be on Great Inagua, (80 miles NE of Cuba and 100 miles NW of Haiti) where I will drive 61 miles (6 hrs) on a rocky outback road.

From there, I'll trek another 11 miles, along an absolute kick butt beach, while carrying 58 pounds---almost to the the NE Point of Great Inagua where I will spend the night on the beach, 72 miles from the nearest permanant settlement! Then at the crack of dawn I will trek the remaining 3 miles to NE point Great Inagua and then back!

When I safely get back to Matthewtown (only settlement on Inagua) the bartender who happens to be serving me that night is going to LOVE ME! :mrgreen:
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

What are the objective hazards on such a monumental tropical undertaking?
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

I'd think dehydration would be #1, by far.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

What's your back up water plan? Solar still kit? Small RO kit? Are there any freshwater sources to filter en route and how long of an upstream trek from an estuary is it? "Aqueous Salt" is shown upper left.

Larger pdf file of below.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Are we talking about this kind of beach?

or this kind of beach?
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

BenfromtheEast wrote:Maybe I missed something... I jogged 15 miles along Myrtle Beach this past May. I didn't carry a backpack, just around 20 ounces of water in a handheld bottle.
Notwithstanding bushwhacking and wading through water (uhhh, waterwhacking?) -- I was thinking of this perhaps too literally as well: just go light.
CoopAir wrote:
From there, I'll trek another 11 miles, along an absolute kick butt beach, while carrying 58 pounds---almost to the the NE Point of Great Inagua where I will spend the night on the beach, 72 miles from the nearest permanant settlement! Then at the crack of dawn I will trek the remaining 3 miles to NE point Great Inagua and then back!
You 'extremepointers' are all the same, LOL. But I'm glad you're following the classic rules of carrying at least 56.5 pounds.
TallGrass wrote:What's your back up water plan?
Turtle blood?
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Richard Derkase wrote:
madbuck wrote: I was thinking of this perhaps too literally as well: just go light.
What will you do if the weather turns on you? How would you survive? I don't see how you'd make it back without 40 or 50 pounds of gear.

Dick

The OP focused on the heat, humidity, and sand, I (like BenfromtheEast) envisioned the potential for miles of smoother running along the water's edge. Similar to Mongoose's "Option A."
If the weather surprisingly turns bad, one should only be, at most, half the total distance from safety!

But it's a big difference in the calculus if there are tides, rocks, and bushwhacking involved -- as the video showed.
Bowman
14ers: 42 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bowman »

madbuck wrote:
Richard Derkase wrote:
madbuck wrote: I was thinking of this perhaps too literally as well: just go light.
What will you do if the weather turns on you? How would you survive? I don't see how you'd make it back without 40 or 50 pounds of gear.

Dick

The OP focused on the heat, humidity, and sand, I (like BenfromtheEast) envisioned the potential for miles of smoother running along the water's edge. Similar to Mongoose's "Option A."
If the weather surprisingly turns bad, one should only be, at most, half the total distance from safety!

But it's a big difference in the calculus if there are tides, rocks, and bushwhacking involved -- as the video showed.
I think Dick was being sarcastic. Weren't you, Dick?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Such silly people. Just swim it! Naked. Geesh.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CoopAir
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoopAir »

AyeYo wrote:I'd think dehydration would be #1, by far.
And a very close 2nd is heat exhaustion since it will also be very humid, not to mention nowhere to take shade along with the sand and water reflecting a lot of the suns rays back at me!
CoopAir
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoopAir »

To further elaborate, there are NO freshwater sources along the route, on either of these 2 treks, so I'll carry a case (5 gal) of individual water bottles.

That way if one bursts I'll still have 23/24 remaining.

As for the weather turning, (lightning is by far #1 concern) I'd just crouch down in a spot at the base of a bluff and wait til it passes.

Trek #1 on Mayaguana, (7.5 each way)that you saw the video of, is a mix of both beaches that Mongoose posted.

Trek #2 to NE point Great Inagua (14 each way) is 98% beautiful sand, on the other hand.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The beach trek would most likely be more difficult. I've done Echo Lake -> Summit of Evans in much less than 3hrs before, carrying one bottle.

15 mile beach hike still just sounds like a long... morning to me. This is def. a case where schlepping the weight of 5 gallons of water is a lesson in diminishing returns. Gawd, that doesn't even sound fun. I'm too fare of skin. This trip would be hell.

But I'm curious - you don't setup caches of water? Like, you don't honestly carry all the water for the second day, to the campsite of your first day, do you?