NEED 2 CULEBRA spots

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kat1189
Trip Reports (0)

NEED 2 CULEBRA spots

Post by Kat1189 »

My dad and I are 4 mountains away from finishing all 58 and we desperately need two reservations!! I have tried contacting the ranch through email and by calling and have had no reply.... If by any chance someone cannot use their already reserved spots please let me know!!! Email me at dvallado@agi.com or call or text +1(719)2891022
Thank you so much!!!
Kat
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: NEED 2 CULEBRA spots

Post by illusion7il »

I think today was the last day of the culebra hiking season..... http://cielovistaranchco.com/culebra-booking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yup, it's over.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Yeah, my son and I had the same situation. They have been booked solid for quite some time. There is an alternative slightly-legal route that involves 11-13,000 vertical feet of climbing, all of which is off trail. I wouldn't try it though during hunting season, and it is probably best as a 3-day attempt. Two days proved too short for us in this thunderstormy month.

How come so many people are interested in climbing Culebra? I wouldn't think that they would fill up all of their reservation spots so quickly. Do we really have several hundred people a year finishing the 14ers?
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

What does "slightly legal" mean?
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Pretty sure going to the summit of Culebra is illegal, regardless of route. Although some of the route may be on public land you will eventually enter private property. Please respect private property.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Doctor No wrote:What does "slightly legal" mean?
illegal
oldschool wrote:Pretty sure going to the summit of Culebra is illegal, regardless of route. Although some of the route may be on public land you will eventually enter private property. Please respect private property.
You might be thinking of Bross. As far as I know the entirety of the standard route on Culebra is on private land, however getting to the summit is perfectly legal with permission from the ranch that owns that land (permission = reservation, payment, waiver, showing up at the right time).
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Correct....I meant that going to the summit without landowners permission is illegal.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

adamjm wrote:
Doctor No wrote:What does "slightly legal" mean?
illegal
Agreed. Although I was hoping for some semantics argument from the one who posted the claim. ;)
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Sorry. I meant...

Trespassing is a bogus crime anyway, how can someone actually "own" land. White people ran Natives off this land and in no way should we have a right to claim any of it for ourselves. Therefore, operation dark snake is morally and legally justified.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

spiderman wrote:How come so many people are interested in climbing Culebra? I wouldn't think that they would fill up all of their reservation spots so quickly. Do we really have several hundred people a year finishing the 14ers?
For one, it's a nice hike in a beautiful area. Not everyone is going there just to finish.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

illusion7il wrote:I think today was the last day of the culebra hiking season..... http://cielovistaranchco.com/culebra-booking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hiking season, yes. But there's always hunting season. For a mere 10k or so, you'll get access to the ranch (and likely the peak) AND possibly bring home a freezer full of trophy elk. :wink:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9