Missouri from Clohesy? Subaru?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
notoriousak86
Trip Reports (0)

Missouri from Clohesy? Subaru?

Post by notoriousak86 »

Was thinking about driving up to Clohesy Lake tonight to do Missouri in the AM from the West Ridge Rt. I have a newer Subaru Outback, do you guys think I can make it up to the lake?
SaraMiller
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Missouri from Clohesy? Subaru?

Post by SaraMiller »

No way. I'm an experienced 4 wheel driver and went through last Saturday In a Landrover...was pretty freaked out.
Always do what you are afraid to do. Ralph Waldo Emerson
alexhenes
14ers: 58  18  5 
13ers: 720 60 5
Trip Reports (72)

Post by alexhenes »

Probably depends on the water level. Here is a video of a forester doing the crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNw316kHmM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsgocu
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 383 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu »

I was in there a few weeks ago during Andrew's record, and out of driving all of the 4wd roads the river crossing there was what I was most worried about with my 4.5" lifted 4Runner we used... I also have an outback that I've taken up several 4wd trailhead roads, more than most would, for example south colony lakes, but I wouldn't bring it up to Clohesy lake unless the river is real low and you are okay with some more than the average subi off roader would be...
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Post by WarDamnPanic »

Yeah no way. That is one of the worst roads on the 14er circuit. The slope after the second water crossing is a bit tricky
SaraMiller
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SaraMiller »

The water was still pretty high one week ago.
Always do what you are afraid to do. Ralph Waldo Emerson
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Talked with a guy at the Missouri trailhead and he said there was a large rock preventing him from crossing one of the creeks. He didn't say which.
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

I was just up there Friday afternoon in my Jeep Liberty, I would definitely say no to taking your new Subaru up. The creeks were not running high, but the road is rough!! If there is a rock blocking, my guess would be that it is the second creek. There was a large one that was a little tricky to maneuver around coming up out of the creek. Someone may have knocked it into the trail:(
colintre
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colintre »

I crossed in a Forester on July 29. There was no problem crossing, but you have to walk the route first to find the shallows and spot the rocks. The problem was getting up the bank on the far side. It is steep, rocky, and irregular. My Forester couldn't keep enough wheels with traction. I was able to get it up with the come-along that I carry. The road to the lake is very rough. If you like your Forester, I suggest that you walk.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I vote no, I parked mine at the cabins and walked. Its not a bad walk, cross in sandals and stash them on the far bank for the return trip.

The hill right out of the crossing is steep and comes out at a sharp enough angle that you probably will hit the front end due to the approach angle. There are some other areas along the way that a bit rocky and loose. I remember one spot I had to back and take a different line when I did it in my old Xterra because of some loose rocks. That was enough for me to park my Outback when I came back for a future trip.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Steve Knapp »

I drove up in my 4Runner (non-lifted stock) last October. Water was low then, but still came nearly to the floorboards in a spot or two. As mentioned, the first slope up from the creek is the worst part of the whole drive. I'm glad I did it as I never would have gotten all the peaks I ended up doing by parking at the bottom. But in a Subaru, definitely don't do it. The Clohesy Lake basin and the peaks above are awesome, really fun trip. For Missouri alone, it's quite doable hiking the whole road up (even in January after forgetting your boots and wearing Nike's on your snowshoes, ha).
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

Hmmm...would someone mind clarifying a few things from this thread?

Where roughly are the river crossings/problems on this road in relation to camping and THs? Over a couple of days I will be hitting Huron/Missouri/Belford/Oxford/Iowa/Emerald. I would like to camp as close to Huron's East Slopes route and Missouri's West Ridge route as possible. How much extra mileage am I looking at if I park/camp short of the river crossings? Also, I will be in a 4WD F150 (rental car) with normal clearance, so maybe I'll be able to cross regardless.