San Juans Trip (Class 1-2+) - Late Aug.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SaraMiller
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: San Juans Trip (Class 1-2+) - Late Aug.

Post by SaraMiller »

So we are here...since weather has been "forecasted" to be iffy, we went ahead and did Handies last night. We are taking today off because it was supposed to rain all day. Anyways, it's fair hiking today, but no regrets. We will do Sunshine/Redcloud tomorrow and so on. The weather is supposed to improve from here on out.

Going to Southern Vittles for late lunch. :-D
Always do what you are afraid to do. Ralph Waldo Emerson
ajlavigne
14ers: 37  5 
13ers: 75 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by ajlavigne »

SaraMiller wrote:So we are here...since weather has been "forecasted" to be iffy, we went ahead and did Handies last night.
Did you guys do the E slopes from Grizzly Gulch or the SW slopes from American Basin?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity. -John Muir
SaraMiller
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SaraMiller »

We did American Basin, which I recommend. Best scenery ever.
Always do what you are afraid to do. Ralph Waldo Emerson
NetJetsHiker
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NetJetsHiker »

I did San Luis on 4 Aug. For San Luis there are at least two campsites within .2 miles of the Stewart Creek TH. There is construction on the 15GG road and the sign says up to 4 hrs delay. I got lucky and only waited 5 minutes. Avoid business hrs on weekdays if possible. I clocked the hike at 13.7 miles. I drove from there to Nellie Creek TH and it was close to 3 hrs.
ajlavigne
14ers: 37  5 
13ers: 75 15
Trip Reports (5)

Post by ajlavigne »

NetJetsHiker wrote:I did San Luis on 4 Aug. For San Luis there are at least two campsites within .2 miles of the Stewart Creek TH. There is construction on the 15GG road and the sign says up to 4 hrs delay. I got lucky and only waited 5 minutes. Avoid business hrs on weekdays if possible. I clocked the hike at 13.7 miles. I drove from there to Nellie Creek TH and it was close to 3 hrs.
3 hours seems like a really good time for that drive - the more I read about the 4wd pitch up to Nellie Creek TH the tougher it sounds, even in an FJ. I am pretty sure I'm going to drive south through Creede from there though. The W Willow Creek TH and 4wd road let you cut down the drive to ~2.5 hours and makes my drive home shorter. Should be a bit easier 4th day than the Stewart Creek TH too at 10.6 miles, even with the two saddle crossings each way. Just not sure on a campsite for this TH yet - might have to just find a flat-enough spot to pitch the tent by the parking area. It worked at Sneffels.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity. -John Muir