N Massive question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

N Massive question

Post by MtnHub »

I'm thinking of possibly doing N Massive in a couple of days, maybe Thursday. I would probably go up the SW slope route and just follow the ridge.

Is there any other TH to just do that peak that might be shorter? I'd be staying in Leadville and want to make it as short a day as possible. I also only have a sedan so access could only be for 2WD.

Would welcome a partner if anyone is interested in joining me.

Thanks!
Katherineanne98
Trip Reports (0)

Re: N Massive question

Post by Katherineanne98 »

Not sure about mileage once you're on foot headed uphill, but you can access the CT from the Hatchery lot, and that's significantly easier to access than Half Moon. Plus the Hatchery is a threatened but beautiful old building worth seeing, and you'd get the informational signs on the history, flora and fauna in the early part of your trek.

I hear the wildflowers are really nice in that are right now.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never been to the hatchery and it would be very easy for me to check out.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

I hiked N. Massive to Massive from the Winsor Lake TH. I took the North Ridge route to summit and then followed the East Ridge route on the descent. A LONG (but awesome) day on the ridge. It took me around 12 hours and the full route was about 18 miles.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

My son and I hiked up N. Massive from the Half Moon Creek drainage, surveying the peak and key saddle. We made it quite far on the road with a Civic. There is a good trail, described in Roach, for half the trip. The off-trail scrambling was quite tame Class 2 stuff with easy route finding. It might not be the fastest route, but the scenery was gorgeous.

If you are going after unranked 14ers (N. Massive has 272.3 +/- 1.4’ of prominence), don't forget to get the other ones along the Massive ridge. There are some fun class 2-3 sections as you head towards Massive Green.