14ers Thru Hike attempt started today

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdawud
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

14ers Thru Hike attempt started today

Post by jdawud »

Marc Strawser is attempting a 14ers thru hike starting today at Culebra. He has already sumitted. I've talked with him a bit, offering some beta and route advice. I wish him well!
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: 14ers Thru Hike attempt started today

Post by Kiefer »

My memory is a bit fuzzy on this but was Marc attempting to hike the peaks (most of them anyway) along the crest of the Culebra Range or is he actually planing/attempting ALL the states 14ers? If the later, seems very late to undertake such an ambitious goal.
Godspeed Marc!!! THIS would be quite the feat.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

By thru hike, do you mean walking the entire distance to the 58 peaks?

Good luck and Be safe.
JQ
jdawud
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

He is attempting a modified version of the route Luke DeMuth and I did in 2013. He'll be ending on Pikes rather than Longs but the first half of his trip will be pretty close to ours. The goal is all 58 peaks with all forward travel on the route done on foot.
Wilderness_hike
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Wilderness_hike »

Does he have a blog or a webpage where he will be posting updates?
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Wilderness_hike wrote:Does he have a blog or a webpage where he will be posting updates?
Not sure about personal website, but I believe he is doing this for the More Than Just Me Foundation.
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Is there a known FKT for this currently?
Lemmiwinks wrote:Marmots are like the wagyu beef of alpine meats.
Wilderness_hike
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Wilderness_hike »

Kiefer wrote:My memory is a bit fuzzy on this but was Marc attempting to hike the peaks (most of them anyway) along the crest of the Culebra Range or is he actually planing/attempting ALL the states 14ers? If the later, seems very late to undertake such an ambitious goal.
Godspeed Marc!!! THIS would be quite the feat.
When Junaid and Luke did it they didn't start until July 20, and they didn't have all the late season snow to deal with.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Whoa ho ho ho! Nice one Mark! Chapeau!
jdawud
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

He's carrying an in Reach but the tracking does not seem to be working. I've only seen his updates on Facebook where the parking lot message posted but I didn't see a summit one, only a photo and video. I'll post the page when he's got it up and running.

He's working with More Than Just Mountains raising money for pediatric cancer. http://www.mtjm.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The current FKT is held by myself and Luke DeMuth. We set it in 2013 at 72 days. To my knowledge only two others have completed a similar trip: Mike Whitehurst and Patrick Renworth did the then-standard 54 peaks over four months in 1985 and also raised money for a charity. (EDIT: The thread about our trip- http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

jdawud wrote:The goal is all 58 peaks with all forward travel on the route done on foot.
Does this mean he can ride in a car as long as it's in reverse?

Good luck Marc!
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

fahixson wrote:
jdawud wrote:The goal is all 58 peaks with all forward travel on the route done on foot.
Does this mean he can ride in a car as long as it's in reverse?

Good luck Marc!

Hahahaha; not 100% sure but I would guess it means that someone could pick him up, drive him to a store to resupply, then return him to where they picked him up????

Regardless, this is an amazing attempt, and I wish him the very best on it.
If anyone has a link to the charity website, please post it on this thread to help him raise the money he is hoping to.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6