Columbia to Harvard rabbit ear

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hjelmstadlt
14ers: 42  1  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (2)

Columbia to Harvard rabbit ear

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

I have some interest in attempting the full technical traverse from Columbia to Harvard although I'm having trouble finding any solid information on the route. Think anyone could hook me up?
"We conquer mountains and attain the summits of our dreams for our own personal well being, but it is for the well being of others that we return home to the valley."
-Mick Daniel
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Columbia to Harvard rabbit ear

Post by bigredmachine »

I know Roach talks about it in his guidebook
Hjelmstadlt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

He does, although very briefly. I was hoping for a more intensive report of it.
"We conquer mountains and attain the summits of our dreams for our own personal well being, but it is for the well being of others that we return home to the valley."
-Mick Daniel
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Anton Krupicka's blog about Nolan's 14 has some info on it:

http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/nolans-14-scouting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hjelmstadlt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

Does anyone know of people doing it from columbia?
-Mick Daniel
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

I don't recommend it w/ Columbia first. Loose scree is much easier to moon walk down than sog up. If you're of normal human speed I recommend starting the traverse at sunrise. Yes, the approach for Harvard makes for an earlier start than most. I have a TR from a while back. Take plenty of water. No viable bailout from the Rabbit Ridge and building storms are not in view to the west. IM for more details. Good luck.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
+101RouteHog+
14ers: 49 
13ers: 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by +101RouteHog+ »

I dropped down and did this traverse from Columbia and found it all took alot longer than I had figured. I looked at Rabbit Ridge as I traversed and really wanted to be up there, it looked faster and more solid, except for one tower. The grassy fields up Harvard were sureal and a nice respite. So far yet to go. The solid trail down much appreciated!
Hjelmstadlt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

If any one is interested the traverse went successfully. Columbia had some really nice solid drainages so there wasn't much sliding going on and it would've been much worse going down. Ridge was also good but bailing out meant a lot of mixed snow and ice. Down climb of Harvard was perfrct
-Mick Daniel
Slawson405
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 116 3 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Slawson405 »

Hjelmstadlt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 pm If any one is interested the traverse went successfully. Columbia had some really nice solid drainages so there wasn't much sliding going on and it would've been much worse going down. Ridge was also good but bailing out meant a lot of mixed snow and ice. Down climb of Harvard was perfrct
So I’m digging up you’re post to see if you could give me any info on the rabbits traverse from Columbia to Harvard mainly just the section from apt. 13,497 to just past the rabbits. Thanks in advance!
“Buy the ticket, take the ride.”
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I just posted up my Nolans recon report from Columbia to Harvard (and beyond). There's a 20' 5.7 crack that has no sneak around. If you go Harvard to Columbia, there's a bit of good-enough looking tat to do an easy rap. The main Rabbit Ears aren't the crux, and can be easily avoided to the west.

https://justinsimoni.com/2019/08/31/nol ... i-harvard/

Just don't fall and you'll be fine.
Hjelmstadlt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Hjelmstadlt »

^Ditto
-Mick Daniel
Slawson405
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 116 3 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Slawson405 »

justiner wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:57 pm I just posted up my Nolans recon report from Columbia to Harvard (and beyond). There's a 20' 5.7 crack that has no sneak around. If you go Harvard to Columbia, there's a bit of good-enough looking tat to do an easy rap. The main Rabbit Ears aren't the crux, and can be easily avoided to the west.

https://justinsimoni.com/2019/08/31/nol ... i-harvard/

Just don't fall and you'll be fine.
Not sure how I didn’t see your original report, but thanks for the vid’s much appreciated!
“Buy the ticket, take the ride.”