Crestones: Cottonwood Creek approach

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestones: Cottonwood Creek approach

Post by crestone14ers »

I've been hiking this approach, formerly with permission from the Ashram for forty years. It's a beautiful approach and quite frankly, if you pay attention, you'll find your way up to both the Crestones and the 13ers further up the creek.

My suggestion... FORGET-ABOUT gps way points being posted! There are enough descriptions and some cairns to get you where you need to go.

Many would like to see this once bushwack 'trail' remain somewhat pristine and not trampled on by thousands of hikers.

If you have a good sense of being out in the back country, you'll have no problem finding your way.

With too many people going up this approach, the beautiful meadow just below Cottonwood Lake will become another over run camping location.

Just head up there, bring up a map, where the 'trail' has a 'split to it, right after you've crossed the creek on slabs and see a nice tenting location, go left and head through the dense trees and you'll break out after a few hundred feet of elevation gain and see the backside of Crestone Peak and Needle. It's a beautiful sight!

Just go for it!
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

crestone14ers wrote:I've been hiking this approach, formerly with permission from the Ashram for forty years. It's a beautiful approach and quite frankly, if you pay attention, you'll find your way up to both the Crestones and the 13ers further up the creek.

My suggestion... FORGET-ABOUT gps way points being posted! There are enough descriptions and some cairns to get you where you need to go.

Many would like to see this once bushwack 'trail' remain somewhat pristine and not trampled on by thousands of hikers.

If you have a good sense of being out in the back country, you'll have no problem finding your way.

With too many people going up this approach, the beautiful meadow just below Cottonwood Lake will become another over run camping location.

Just head up there, bring up a map, where the 'trail' has a 'split to it, right after you've crossed the creek on slabs and see a nice tenting location, go left and head through the dense trees and you'll break out after a few hundred feet of elevation gain and see the backside of Crestone Peak and Needle. It's a beautiful sight!

Just go for it!
I very much agree with your sentiment, and we can certainly try and enjoy one of the less crowded TH's while it lasts (because it won't). I was just curious if there is any major trail obstructions from any blow-down events that happened since the last trip report was made. I definitely don't need GPX coordinates or anything like that.

Cheers.
ColoradoEd
14ers: 55 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoEd »

Me and my brother in law day hiked Crestone Peak using the Cottonwood Creek approach back on 2000.
According to my notes it was 5:45 up and 4:30 down.
Finding and staying on the trail was difficult as I recall.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

ColoradoEd wrote:Me and my brother in law day hiked Crestone Peak using the Cottonwood Creek approach back on 2000.
According to my notes it was 5:45 up and 4:30 down.
Finding and staying on the trail was difficult as I recall.
Sounds about right for the amount of vertical, mileage, and gradient! Well done! I had a hair-brained idea to do the traverse this weekend car-to-car with a friend, but I'm thinking it would be more enjoyable to save it for when I have time to backpack in for the night.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Has anyone been up this route in the last couple of months who could provide any updates on trail conditions?
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

From less than a month ago, and more than enough information.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=18794

Happy trails! :-D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM