Mt. Massive in July

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ilikerocks
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Massive in July

Post by ilikerocks »

Planning some summer hikes first half of July and I have a question about Mt. Massive. The East slopes route is considered the standard, why? The Southwest slopes route is 6 miles shorter. Any reason not to do the Southwest slopes route? Thank you.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Massive in July

Post by SkaredShtles »

Nope - hit the SW slopes!
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Someone that has done both should chime in. I did the SW and thought it was beautiful. Many have called it steep, and it is, but not ridiculous like Challenger or S. Maroon.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

The East slopes route is considered the standard, why?
The East Slopes Route is the standard route because it is the easiest route up the mountain and has a well defined trail.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ilikerocks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ilikerocks »

Thank you. Southwest slopes it is.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

You will like the SW slopes route. Way less crowded and much shorter. The TH is next to a creek with some nice camping spots. Just don't miss the right turn in the meadow or you'll end up on Oklahoma or North Massive. The last 1/2 mile to the TH has a couple steep rough spots but my 1998 Outback has made it four times.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

You might consider making a loop out of it. My favorite way is to go up the SW (really the much more scenic route) and then down the East slopes. The more gradual east route is easier on the knees and ankles on descent (for me that's a big plus!) and you get to experience both routes well. Have fun! :-D
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The east trailhead is on graded forest road, right across from the Halfmoon Elbert trailhead. Both fill up by 7AM on a summer weekend morning.
The southwest trailhead is up the road and requires a high clearance vehicle.
hoff_hikes
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hoff_hikes »

I'm planning on doing the Mt. Massive loop in mid July. I'll be going up the SW route and coming down the East route. For those who have done the loop, where is an ideal place to park? I'm guessing at the East route. Also, how many miles separate the two THs?
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

hoff_hikes wrote:I'm planning on doing the Mt. Massive loop in mid July. I'll be going up the SW route and coming down the East route. For those who have done the loop, where is an ideal place to park? I'm guessing at the East route. Also, how many miles separate the two THs?
I did the loop, but a bit differently, last year. I parked at Fish Hatchery and went up the East Ridge and came down the SW route to the road. Ran the road back to the regular Mount Massive TH and ran the CT back to Fish Hatchery. I think you're looking at the standard East slopes route, maybe? If so, I'd park at the standard Mount Massive parking area, it's easy to get to in any vehicle. It's quite a bit rougher past that point. The distance on the road is 2.5 miles between the two. Also, it's nice to get the road over with early, instead of finishing the day with a 2.5 mile slog up the road. It's a fun route, makes for a really nice loop tour.
hoff_hikes
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hoff_hikes »

I think you're looking at the standard East slopes route, maybe?
Thanks for the information. Yes, I was referring to the East Slopes standard route for my descent. It will be nice to have my vehicle at the standard parking lot and calling it a day.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

As Sugar said, you want to park at the standard Mt Massive parking lot. And it is 2.5 miles after that to the SW Slopes TH. Because you're walking along the road, it's easy to do in the dark if you're starting early with a headlamp. Sometimes when I'm wearing a headlamp on a thin trail I can get off route easily. The East Slopes trail coming back intersects with the CO Trail which takes you back to the parking area. My Tribute climb to James Nelson describes it in good detail.