Advice on Hiking Trip

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Advice on Hiking Trip

Post by SkaredShtles »

Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'd also go with Bison Peak, although there might still be enough snow up high to interfere with your plans. There are places to camp with water about 2 miles in on the Ute Creek trail, leaving about an 8 mile round-trip summit day. I'm not familiar with the Lost Park route, but it will also be dry in the upper reaches.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
adamjm
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by adamjm »

Wilbur did you just absolutely hate hiking Holy Cross?
Lemmiwinks wrote:Marmots are like the wagyu beef of alpine meats.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

awilbur77 wrote:
thatmushroom wrote:I'd like to apologize for awilbur77, most everyone else on the site are decent human beings.
Sorry, apparently I'm not "decent" since i utilize sarcasm and I'm an atheist. I apologize that I do not believe in fairy tales, like virgins that get pregnant, hairy bums that rise from the dead, and a book, written by men, that contradicts itself over and over again. Churches are nothing more than businesses that rob the ignorant and poor from their hard-earned cash in the false promise of a future that will never manifest itself. Religion is the largest running scam in the history of mankind.

Then again, your "God" would say that even I am a decent person because apparently some hippie died over 2000 years ago knowing on this day I would rant about religion on the internet making myself appear like a not "decent" person. But your "God" does not need to judge people since he clearly has delegated that duty to the brainwashed hypocrites that believe in him.

That being said, I hope the OP has a great hiking trip.
After I read The Legend's sincere request in this thread, I did not see anything that he wanted to convey to us in a religious way. The word "church" which he simply wrote can mean anything. Did you know that there are some Satan's churches or even some atheist's churches in our own country?

Also, did you know that a virgin can be pregnant through artificial insemination without sexual intercourse these days? There are some women that did that in our own country!

What I said above shows how ignorant you are. In other words, you are a bigot.

I agree with Scott P on his comments that you are not a decent person who spews hatred out at anyone who is obviously religious. The Legend never mentioned his religious preference in this thread! I am more than certain that he was offended by your sarcasm.

If you think that you are a decent person, why don't you apologize to The Legend right now?

This website is for everyone who loves mountain climbing and hiking including religious people, unchurched people, skeptics, agnostics and even decent atheists! Sadly enough, you are not one of them.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

One does wonder just what the underlying issue with awilbur is ... really, this is beyond rude. Rude would be a similar response to someone who (say) posted about his religious belief. But as a response to a post where the only religious content was incidental - "church group" - wow. I don't want to engage in armchair psychology, but pretty clearly we're dealing with more than just garden variety rudeness.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

OP,
I don't know what age group you're taking, but you may consider contacting a church camp in Como, near Fairplay. They frequently host youth groups from all over during the summer, and usually lead flatlander kids up Little Baldy - by no means a 14er, but even kids from my church here in Lakewood have considered it an amazing experience, especially if they're not used to hiking at altitude.
http://www.campcomo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Since they're in the business of hosting church groups in the mountains, they might have some good suggestions or recommendations.

Edit: snarky comment about Wilbur's atheism deleted - my apologies.
Last edited by jaymz on Thu May 28, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
SSC_43
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SSC_43 »

awilbur77 wrote:
thatmushroom wrote:I'd like to apologize for awilbur77, most everyone else on the site are decent human beings.
Sorry, apparently I'm not "decent" since i utilize sarcasm and I'm an atheist. I apologize that I do not believe in fairy tales, like virgins that get pregnant, hairy bums that rise from the dead, and a book, written by men, that contradicts itself over and over again. Churches are nothing more than businesses that rob the ignorant and poor from their hard-earned cash in the false promise of a future that will never manifest itself. Religion is the largest running scam in the history of mankind.

Then again, your "God" would say that even I am a decent person because apparently some hippie died over 2000 years ago knowing on this day I would rant about religion on the internet making myself appear like a not "decent" person. But your "God" does not need to judge people since he clearly has delegated that duty to the brainwashed hypocrites that believe in him.

No, you are not "sorry." You are actually a "prejudice" and probably an "insufferable," "miserable" person to be around. (Using quotations is fun, huh?!) Look guy, I'm an atheist. I know many atheists. You know what's worse than some idiot trying to push his ideals on someone else? Actually, not much. That's what you're doing. Did anyone ask for your opinion of God on a hiking website? Go ahead, answer this before you reply.

Grow up... Well, I say that really hoping for your own sake you're not older than 14 or 15, seriously. You are an embarassment to the atheist community.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

SSC_43 wrote:
awilbur77 wrote:

No, you are not "sorry." You are actually a "prejudice" and probably an "insufferable," "miserable" person to be around. (Using quotations is fun, huh?!) Look guy, I'm an atheist. I know many atheists. You know what's worse than some idiot trying to push his ideals on someone else? Actually, not much. That's what you're doing. Did anyone ask for your opinion of God on a hiking website? Go ahead, answer this before you reply.

Grow up... Well, I say that really hoping for your own sake you're not older than 14 or 15, seriously. You are an embarassment to the atheist community.

Thank you for a sane, respectful and level-headed response to this...I blocked wilbur as soon as he spewed that out there without provocation. I have some dear friends that are either agnostic or atheist and neither of them would ever show such disrespect to someone that simply was inquiring about something directly pertaining to what this website is supposed to be about.

Now, to The Legend...let me know what kind of conditions you find, I am planning on heading up to the Spanish Peaks area sometime around the 6-9th of June and I am hoping to get West Spanish and (hopefully) Greenhorn Mountain...keeping my fingers crossed that snow starts melting soon and I don't have to posthole too much.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

I was thinking West Spanish might be a good choice, but last I heard Cordova Pass was still shut in, although that may have changed. Here's today's webcam picture which does show quite a bit of snow, for this peak anyway.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.82 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

SSC_43 wrote:

Well said. FYI, that thoughtless bigot is not even a teenager, but he is close to the over-the-hill age according to a source.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Bison would be a good choice.
There is snow up there. Not sure how much, saw recent photos.
Snow melt for water is your best bet.
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tejonmax »

Boys....girls....... a bunch of inappropriate comments about a person that made one himself is not any more adult that the first comment. May I make a suggestion that this thread either be stopped so everyone can get back to subjects of substance or let this post get back to what was originally asked. Leave religion and insults to other forums.