Some Questions for My Next Planned Trip

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kara454
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Some Questions for My Next Planned Trip

Post by Kara454 »

acidchylde wrote:Handies/Redcloud/Sunshine would make a very nice weekend, though I don't know how much time you'd have/need for acclimation coming from sea level. And I don't really remember much in the way of wildflowers going up Handies from Grizzly (might have been timing and it's been a while), but American Basin and upper Silver Creek on Redcloud are consistent show stoppers.

Just as an FYI, if you've only done one 14er so far and it was Elbert, I would not recommend soloing Wetterhorn. Routefinding from the ridge to the final summit push can be challenging, and said push is something of a gateway from the easier to the harder 14ers: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 12#p547823" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the heads up about Wetterhorn!!! I want to get into more difficult ones, but want to definitely do so properly!

I tend to do very well at higher altitudes so far and have not really had to do much with getting acclimated, but I do know that it can affect at any time. I actually have a harder time coming back down to this miserable swamp here!!! LOL
wlacy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wlacy »

Kara454 wrote: Does anyone have any pictures of the shelf road going up to Grizzly Gulch TH??
Here is a picture of one of the sharp turns on the shelf road leading to GG TH. I think the topo contour indicates about a 200 ft drop. I took a '93 Chevy G20 van all the way to American Basin TH 3 yrs in a row but I have to say that it was a mistake every time [-o<
Shelf Road
Shelf Road
DSC00923 (3).JPG (319.44 KiB) Viewed 823 times
. We made it but I sure don't know how!!! We plan a Handies Sept re-visit this year. Watch for the big blue Chevy van.
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

Thanks for the picture! I have my plane tickets purchased, lodging arrangements made, rental car picked out!! I will be going to the San Juans July 9-13. I will be flying in later Thursday night so I will not be down there until Friday morning so I doubt I will be climbing any peaks that day- so need to pick some things to get into. I am planning on picking out a peak for Saturday (have not decided which one yet, and also depends on conditions too), and will do Handies on Sunday! Hoping for great weather, meeting new people, and great hikes!!!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Many of the San Juan trail roads require a off-road and/or high clearances rental vehicle. These are identified in the "trailhead by road difficulty" page in the 14er.com menus.
The fine print in standard sedan rental contracts prohibit this kind of use and yours/theirs insurance would not pay for damage then.
bradaskins
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bradaskins »

I love the East Ridge of Bierstadt > Sawtooth > Mt. Evans loop. The dog might struggle a bit without some help from you.
There is a nice bailout option if you get on Bierstadt and the weather turns. You can descend to Abyss Lake and re-climb the gully to reach the Mt. Evans road where you parked.
I hiked with a buddy and didn't see anyone until we reached the peak of Bierstadt and only two people crossing the Sawtooth.

Good luck.

http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... +Bierstadt

Brad
Kara454
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kara454 »

peter303 wrote:Many of the San Juan trail roads require a off-road and/or high clearances rental vehicle. These are identified in the "trailhead by road difficulty" page in the 14er.com menus.
The fine print in standard sedan rental contracts prohibit this kind of use and yours/theirs insurance would not pay for damage then.
I have tried to do a bit of networking and think I will be able to find a way to get to trailheads without me personally having to have a 4wd when I am at the San Juans in July. Thankfully I think it will work out! I decided to make two trips out of these ideas haha.

When I drive up in September in my personal vehicle, I may not get to go to the San Juans so will probably be able to access the more easy to get to trailheads then.