Mt Edwards, Grays and Torreys - Can it be done in 1 day?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt Edwards, Grays and Torreys - Can it be done in 1 day?

Post by Jim Davies »

There's the Gondwanaland Traverse - Guanella Pass to Loveland Pass. I think Doug Shaw coined that name when he did it with Wes Go about ten years ago +/-. Four ranked 13ers in addition to G+T, 14.5 miles, 7400' according to mtnmike's TR: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I did Edwards from Peru Creek(via Argentine Pass)- it was rather easy and the traverse from Edwards to Grays looked nice (certainly nothing beyond class 2). If you have 2 cars you could do a shuttle and go G&T to Peru Creek or vice versa. With just 1 car you could still do all three from Peru Creek although you'd be resummiting Grays and Edwards
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
Therr
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Therr »

Thanks everyone. This was my first of what I hope to be many post on 14'ers so I really appreciate ALL of the suggestions. Since I am less familiar with mountain hiking and will be solo, I plan to do some more reading and map reviews before deciding on the route. If there's anyone who is familiar with the area and wants to join me, send me a message.
Therr
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Therr »

So to close the loop on my great adventure. I banged out Grays and Torreys peak and it took a record setting 9.5 hours! Yeah this is slow and I open myself up to criticism. I'm from Chicago, I don't see this scenary very often and the weather was great. Plus I had no where else to go. I did spend well over an hour on the peaks. I appreciate all the advice and have determined I need to exercise more often. Thanks for hosting someone from the bankrupt State of Illinois!
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

What criticism are you hoping for? If the weather's fine, why hurry?
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

No criticism, 9 1/2 hours for two 14ers is no shame. We all hike and climb at our own speed, I like to go slow and enjoy the views myself. I'm an Illinoisan too, grew up in Carmi and lived in Bloomington until 1994.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

...folks from low elevations typically go slower (and I am one of them). My observation. If we had a month to acclimate, we would certainly cover the high ground faster.

Guanella to Loveland Pass, oh my, I had never thought of that before. Impressive and imaginative. I had considered a Loveland Pass to Stevens Gulch hike, which would rely on a friend/stranger giving me a lift from Stevens Gulch back to Loveland Pass.