Quandary East Ridge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Quandary East Ridge?

Post by awake »

Tejonmax wrote:I didn't start hiking 14ers until last summer. I did a bunch of them (16) but have never done one in the snow. I think I would like to do Quandary. I don't really have any snow gear other than warm clothes and boots. From what I am reading here, that should be plenty to do Quandary now???? Are you doing the normal summer route or heading up to the ridge early? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know anything about the current conditions on Quandary, but snowshoes will really help depending on the conditions. Here is a good trip report that explains what can happen when you don't have snowshoes when they're needed: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include.

Other traction, such as Microspikes, can be perfect for hiking on that layer of thin snow or ice that is slick. When it's just a little bit of snow, Microspikes work great. But when there is deep snow, snowshoes are what you'd want to bring.
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tejonmax »

Yes I understand the need for snowshoes and would not normally consider a trip up a 14er without them except for the conditions on Quandary that are being reported in a couple of posts above. I guess I am just getting anxious waiting for some better conditions.
billrwathier
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billrwathier »

Doug Shaw wrote:Unless there's some truly apocalyptic snow between now and then you'll be fine with that gear.
Thanks!
billrwathier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billrwathier »

Tejonmax wrote:Yes I understand the need for snowshoes and would not normally consider a trip up a 14er without them except for the conditions on Quandary that are being reported in a couple of posts above. I guess I am just getting anxious waiting for some better conditions.
Folks keep recommending an alpine start to avoid postholing by mid morning.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Snowshoes aren't a guarantee that you won't posthole. But.....they are a great way to hedge your bets to not to.
Alpine starts are another way to hedge your bets to avoid postholing.
But, if postholing doesn't bother ya, it's a PHENOMINAL way to burn some calories!!! :)
billrwathier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billrwathier »

Kiefer wrote: But, if postholing doesn't bother ya, it's a PHENOMINAL way to burn some calories!!! :)
I could probably use it for sure... :lol:
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Conditions as of this Sunday (5/17): http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... ecnum=4500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully this helps. As you've probably seen already, more snow is on its way this week, including 10-20" in the higher mountains through Tuesday night: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.p ... =-106.0383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
billrwathier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billrwathier »

AlexeyD wrote:Conditions as of this Sunday (5/17): http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_en ... ecnum=4500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully this helps. As you've probably seen already, more snow is on its way this week, including 10-20" in the higher mountains through Tuesday night: http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.p ... =-106.0383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just saw your Conditions report this morning. I'm looking at going Thursday, but I might change my mind...
billrwathier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billrwathier »

I'm giving this a bump, since I might head up there tomorrow - 5/28.

I'm slow and take plenty of breaks. I'm not sold on going yet, but I don't mind an alpine start if I go.

Any Takers?