Peak(s) with the most visible 14ers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Peak(s) with the most visible 14ers?

Post by dr_j »

Just spinning off from the "Decalibron" thread, where there was a discussion about the number of 14ers visible from the top.

So from which summit(s) in Colorado can one see the most 14ers?

And from which peak can one see the most land area? (I'm guessing Pikes Peak due to its location).
IG: jc_solitude
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Peak(s) with the most visible 14ers?

Post by Chicago Transplant »

The southern Sawatch have pretty long views; the 13er Mt Ouray has views that include Pikes to the east, Uncompahgre and San Luis to the west, most of the Sangre 14ers, southern Elks, parts of the Mosquito and of course the southern Sawatch. I think you can also see Bierstadt and Evans. Shavano has similar views if you are talking 14ers.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Huron maybe?
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

MOUNT YALE!! Is it not like 32 plus or minus? (edit: assuming we are talking about 14ers with the greatest view of other 14ers)
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
bbass11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (6)

Post by bbass11 »

Roach says you can see 30 from the top of Yale. At any rate I do think you can see the most from the southern Sawatch. I was on Yale this summer but I don't remember for sure. I think from Yale you can possibly see the following: 12 or 13 of the other Sawatch, all 7 of the Elks, Pikes, Uncmpaghre, maybe San Luis (I don't know what it looks like), at least 7 Sangres, which gets close to 30 there.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Yeah it's gotta be in the Sawatch somewhere. We always make a game of counting how many we can see from the top.
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

From Pikes Peak on 10-4 of this year, I could see 34 of the 58 14ers: Longs, Evans, Bierstadt, Grays, Torreys, Quandary, Lincoln, Cameron, Bross, Democrat, Sherman, Massive, Elbert, La Plata, Oxford, Belford, Missouri, Huron, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Antero, Tabeguache, Shavano, Challenger Pt, Kit Carson, Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle, Humboldt, Ellingwood Pt, Blanca, Lindsey, (the summit of Little Bear is covered by Ellingwood, at least from my vantage pt), and Culebra.

The furthest mountains that I noted I could see... Fairchild, Hagues, and Mummy (~118 mi), Longs (~102 mi), Blanca (~90 mi), Culebra (~118 mi, barely peeking over the Wet Mtns), East Spanish Peak and West Spanish Peak (~100 mi, the summit of West Spanish barely peeking over Greenhorn Mtn), and Fishers Peak and Fishers Peak Mesa (~125 mi, the mountains SE of Trinidad near the CO/NM border).

Having lived in Fort Collins for a while, I remember seeing Pikes Peak from Horsetooth Mtn, (~118 mi) though it's hard to spot Horsetooth from Pikes, from the top of the rise on I25 near MM248 (~98 mi), from Douglas Rd N of Fort Collins near the brewery (~125 mi), and probably from a bit further north, and from E Prospect Rd a few mi E of I25 (~119 mi).
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

bdloftin77 wrote:From Pikes Peak on 10-4 of this year, I could see 34 of the 58
I love this game.
I would not have thought of Pikes as having that much perspective.
But I have never been there.
You did not add Pikes itself as one of the 14ers in view?
Add one more.
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Yeah, you can see a lot from Pikes! The weather was especially clear that day. Most of the 14ers are fairly distant though, so this would definitely be in the "most visible 14ers seen" category as opposed to the "best views" category. You do have to know where you're looking to know which 14ers are which.. I'm usually good at that, but actually "discovered" a lot of them by looking through my pictures, then matching them with google earth, and seeing which were visible, and which 14ers were which.

35! :)
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Eph 2 5 »

bdloftin77 wrote:From Pikes Peak on 10-4 of this year, I could see 34 of the 58 14ers: Longs, Evans, Bierstadt, Grays, Torreys, Quandary, Lincoln, Cameron, Bross, Democrat, Sherman, Massive, Elbert, La Plata, Oxford, Belford, Missouri, Huron, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Antero, Tabeguache, Shavano, Challenger Pt, Kit Carson, Crestone Peak, Crestone Needle, Humboldt, Ellingwood Pt, Blanca, Lindsey, (the summit of Little Bear is covered by Ellingwood, at least from my vantage pt), and Culebra.

The furthest mountains that I noted I could see... Fairchild, Hagues, and Mummy (~118 mi), Longs (~102 mi), Blanca (~90 mi), Culebra (~118 mi, barely peeking over the Wet Mtns), East Spanish Peak and West Spanish Peak (~100 mi, the summit of West Spanish barely peeking over Greenhorn Mtn), and Fishers Peak and Fishers Peak Mesa (~125 mi, the mountains SE of Trinidad near the CO/NM border).

Having lived in Fort Collins for a while, I remember seeing Pikes Peak from Horsetooth Mtn, (~118 mi) though it's hard to spot Horsetooth from Pikes, from the top of the rise on I25 near MM248 (~98 mi), from Douglas Rd N of Fort Collins near the brewery (~125 mi), and probably from a bit further north, and from E Prospect Rd a few mi E of I25 (~119 mi).
Bdloftin77, I went to the summit of Pikes Peak, took hundreds of pictures, stitched them together in AutoCAD, traced them, and made a drawing showing the peaks that can be seen from Pikes. I came up with the same list of visible 14ers you did except I didn't show Huron. I was able to identify 199 peaks that can be seen from Pikes. Like you, I used my own pictures from various mountains I climbed to confirm that Pikes was visible from them. I also used Google Earth. I was amazed at how many peaks, some very far away, that can be seen from Pikes.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

You can also use Caltopo's visibility/thingy feature.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
bdloftin77
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Eph, nice! It is amazing!

John, thanks, I haven't heard of that and will have to check it out.