Current Status of Bartlett Mountain??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Current Status of Bartlett Mountain??

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Not sure if there is a reasonable way to access this peak any more now that mine is fully operational. The road that ascends the west slopes is regularly traveled and you can often see equipment high on the road from a distance. The best bet may be from the northeast in spring snow conditions with a glissade or ski descent?

There is no public route, so any route would be trespassing, and of course as such my official recommendation is to stay off it and wait for it to become an unranked 12er in a few years. The primary concern for the mine is probably one of safety, they are actively mining and blasting and unauthorized people on the mountain are a serious safety risk to their operation.

If anyone were to climb it, I would be curious what the summit block looks like these days, it was 2007 when I last got a good look at it and I am sure 7 years later, especially with 3-4 of active mining have changed things quite a bit!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

DArcyS wrote:P.S. To Highpilgrim - around Thursday night I was wondering if you needed one of my painkillers.
I just adopted the Cub Fan Motto: Just wait till next year! :mrgreen:

It's worked over a century for them. I can use it for twelve months I suppose.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

In recent years, many have been climbing Bartlett via the N slopes and ridge via moonlight. It is possible authorities have placed motion sensors so contingency plans are advised.

I am not a fan of the 300 ft rule as there are generally more note-worthy qualities by which one might gauge a mountain.

"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Is it safe to assume that this is no longer a 13er and is mined out? Was looking to complete the Mosquitos this summer.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:Is it safe to assume that this is no longer a 13er and is mined out? Was looking to complete the Mosquitos this summer.
Yes, it is safe to assume that Bartlett Mountain no longer exists.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:Is it safe to assume that this is no longer a 13er and is mined out? Was looking to complete the Mosquitos this summer.
When I looked at it from Clinton last summer, it still looked like a 13er to me. But possibly an unranked one at this point?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

It is a disgusting, mined out, ruined mountain. Whether on a list or not, why climb it?
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

As a skier, it has plenty of appeal.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Agree, it didn't look too bad from Drift. Is that north approach completely off limits?
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

SnowAlien wrote:Agree, it didn't look too bad from Drift. Is that north approach completely off limits?
Bartlett is private property. Climb it at your own risk.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
letsgocu
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 383 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu »

A few years ago we did some contour comparison to where the current summit is and estimated that it isn't ranked anymore by about 100 ft. I would suggest even though it might still be fun to ski the back of it there are other mountains that you don't have to sneak around guards and risk safety to find a good line to ski. I personally have just come to terms with my list of 583*.
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

letsgocu wrote: I personally have just come to terms with my list of 583*.
I'm just waiting for Bill and John Kirk to remove it from the ranked 13er list!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina