Snowshoes needed for Mt. Elbert?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
redawg98
Trip Reports (0)

Snowshoes needed for Mt. Elbert?

Post by redawg98 »

Hi All,

Would micro spikes suffice for Mt. Elbert tomorrow? Not sure how much snow is up there right now so wondering if I should bring snowshoes. Thanks for any insight!
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Snowshoes needed for Mt. Elbert?

Post by dustj »

I skied it on Monday from summit to treeline. Snow from 13,000' up was about knee deep but a lot had melted during the day below treeline. With as quick as it was melting on Monday and with the warm weather we've had here in Breck this week, my assumption is that snowshoes are not needed at this point.
redawg98
Trip Reports (0)

Post by redawg98 »

Thanks! That must've been a fun ride down from the summit. :)
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dustj »

There are much worse ways to make your way down a mountain. It helps that the conditions were a lot better than expected, especially for mid October. I only nicked my skis on 3 rocks as opposed to the 200 I anticipated :wink:
Daniel Joder
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Daniel Joder »

I just now posted a conditions report for Elbert that might help you out. There were very few people up there today (4 that I knew of), but the one couple did have YakTrax, judging from tracks. My winter boots were fine (but too warm) and I never put on my MicroSpikes I lugged all the way up and down. Beautiful day--virtually no wind!
redawg98
Trip Reports (0)

Post by redawg98 »

Thanks, Daniel. We made it up yesterday and it was a beautiful day! No micro spikes were needed although they may have been helpful in a couple areas that were still covered in snow.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

went yesterday, and no snowshoes needed. snow is only a few inches deep, and for the most part, hard crusted over.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche