Winter Conditions beginning tomorrow

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Axeman
14ers: 10 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Winter Conditions beginning tomorrow

Post by Axeman »

Just a heads up to anyone considering a peak in the next 4 days or so:
If you've been following the weather you know that the moisture from what was hurricane Simon is going to dump on CO tomorrow into Friday. Combined with a cold front coming in from the north/east, that's gonna mean some serious high elevation snow starting tomorrow, and especially tomorrow night into Friday morning. All the 14ers should get some snow, but it will mainly impact the peaks south of I-70; especially the Sangres, Pikes, and Collegiates, maybe Elks. Could see a foot or more above 11000 feet by Friday. After a brief break Saturday, snow levels go way down on Sunday but there's still some uncertainty on how much snow to expect then--so first things first! These are the kind of storms that take unprepared folks by surprise, and I do NOT want to hear from SAR this week! Im a meteorologist and forecast the weather for southeast CO. Take care! :-SS
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter Conditions beginning tomorrow

Post by San Juan Ron »

Axeman, just like the Denver meteorologists, you forgot the San Juan Mountains! Just don't call Hinsdale County "Hillsdale" County as a couple have been known to do when occassionally referencing the San Juan's. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
Axeman
14ers: 10 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Axeman »

LOL--I didn't forget them, I just didn't single them out! Snow levels will be higher there and the ratio will be lower, so yeah they'll get snow just not as much as farther north and east.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

San Juan Ron wrote:Axeman, just like the Denver meteorologists, you forgot the San Juan Mountains! Just don't call Hinsdale County "Hillsdale" County as a couple have been known to do when occassionally referencing the San Juan's. SJ Ron :)
Ron, any chance you could let us know how things look come Friday? We're hoping to climb Redcloud and Sunshine on Saturday!
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thank you, Axeman! After a quick look at some forecasts, it looks like the Sawatch Range (at the moment at least) will not get as much snow as the Front/Mosquito/Tenmile/Sangre ranges. Especially the southern mtns in the Sawatch.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

bdloftin77 wrote:Thank you, Axeman! After a quick look at some forecasts, it looks like the Sawatch Range (at the moment at least) will not get as much snow as the Front/Mosquito/Tenmile/Sangre ranges. Especially the southern mtns in the Sawatch.
It's often hard to predict exactly what area will get the most precip. In this case, the models aren't in good agreement on either the Thursday-Fri or the Sunday-Monday system. Right now the best guess seems to be that the first one will be warmer and likely favor the southern/eastern regions, while the second will be colder and favor the northern ones. As far as the specifics, we'll just have to wait and see...but in general I do agree that it would be wise to prepare for wintery conditions almost anywhere this weekend. I'll likely be in the Mosquito Range on Saturday and the Collegiates Sunday...will report back.
LoveThisSite
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LoveThisSite »

Hmm wow, mountain-forecast has changed it's outlook significantly since yesterday.. originally around a foot of snow pretty much anywhere. Latest forecast is closer to 6" .. maybe, just maybe, Sat is still a possibility for me :)
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

[/quote]
Ron, any chance you could let us know how things look come Friday? We're hoping to climb Redcloud and Sunshine on Saturday![/quote]

Yeah, I will let you know. The vast majority of the snow from last week's storm has melted as of today. I was on Handies yesterday and S/R was virtually clear (not the same situation on Handies). SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

While we have a meteorologist on the line, how's the snow forecast for this winter shaping up?

hokiehead
14ers: 49  2  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (5)

Winter Conditions tomorrow - noob wants to keep climbing

Post by hokiehead »

Thanks for starting this thread. Given the 14ers.com automated warnings about starting new threads on old topics, I've been scouring the forums and even PM'ing members for answers, but this seems like a reasonable place to post my remaining open questions and issues.

Plans are to do the Decalibron on Sunday (10/12) with my daughter, leaving the TH around 5AM. We have zero winter climbing experience and no winter climbing gear. I'm monitoring the condition reports and the forecast carefully. Per Crestoner, there's currently ~18" of snow on top of Democrat and Axeman reminded us there's more on the way this weekend.

My questions are mostly around gear:

a. Snow shoes -- I have a friend at work who is willing to loan us pairs:
(1) based on what is known about the conditions, do you think we'll need them?
(2) what are the best practices for securing snow shoes to our packs when not on our feet? I'm thinking thin bungee cables or zip ties, but there's gotta be a more elegant solution.

b. Ice axe, crampons and/or Alpine boots (and the training on how to use them) -- from my understanding, we should be OK on this climb in these conditions without these. Let me know if that sounds reckless -- I'm not trying to take crazy chances on our first winter-weather (purple snowflake?) ascent.

c. Packs -- I have a 26 litre and Little H has a smaller one (not sure the size). I *think* they will get us by for this trip, but what size is typical for single day winter climbs (assuming we do progress to the point where we're carrying axes, crampons and snow shoes)?

d. Avalanche training and gear -- I have none (yet), but from my research, that's very low risk for this route at this time of year. Again, please let me know if that sounds unwise -- I will listen to experience.

e. Goggles -- I didn't consider these until this morning (we're not skiers -- yet). Does it sound crazy to do a climb like this without goggles? I found this thread, as well as this one for glasses wearing folks (note: never had luck with contacts and LASIK is not an option for me and my thin corneas).

I think I've resolved these:

Clothing and layers -- I think we're OK (not great, but OK for recent North Carolina transplants), except for a face-mask or balaclava, which does fit into this month's budget. I'm sure we don't have the ideal garment selection, but I think it's good enough to "go out, climb, maybe get cold due to non-optimal clothing -- then learn more for next time".

Microspikes -- We've never used them, but from all the research I've done, unless we intend to stop climbing for the year (we don't!), it's probably time to invest. It seems like the Kahtoola MICROspikes are the model of choice here, so I'll plan on making another cap-ex at REI.

Gaiters -- again, sounds like its time to invest.

Ironic note -- one of the reasons I always liked hiking was that it's a relatively inexpensive past time. However, the 'spend vs. time' graph changes when one transitions from hiking into mountaineering, and then hits another inflection point when winter arrives. That, and I'm buying gear for the kids whenever I get something for myself, so costs are multiplied by 2 or 3 (wonderful problem to have).

closing note -- thanks to everyone who posts condition reports for peaks and trailheads. The few minutes you spend posting that info saves others a lot of time and research.
Insta: hokiehead
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

There is a good discussion on this topic here: http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will likely be doing all or at least some of the DeCaLiBron peaks on Saturday, and can try to post an update as well as give some specific recommendations relevant to the current conditions.
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

San Juan Ron wrote:
KentonB wrote:Ron, any chance you could let us know how things look come Friday? We're hoping to climb Redcloud and Sunshine on Saturday!
Yeah, I will let you know. The vast majority of the snow from last week's storm has melted as of today. I was on Handies yesterday and S/R was virtually clear (not the same situation on Handies). SJ Ron :)
Thanks! I appreciate it! PM or a post here would be great. And I'm surprised to hear it's that dry in the San Juans! Maybe this will turn into a "summer" hike after all!