Winter Conditions beginning tomorrow

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Winter Conditions beginning tomorrow

Post by yorksman »

Axeman wrote:I am a meteorologist (and ive stayed in a holiday inn express)--to answer your question, not unusual at all for mid October--but the amount of moisture was unusual, especially for the east side, so for example the 2 feet on top of Pikes Pk was pretty unusual for October. Since its 14K feet, it aint going anywhere anytime soon (except by way of being blown off...) Some will melt/sublimate in the next week or so after today's storm blows through, but overall this is a good start to the snowpack. It hasn't been that cold either, here in Pueblo we haven't even got a decent freeze yet (average is usually Oct 8th).
And since Im closing in on a whopping 30 posts, ive added an appropriate avatar...I sense great achievements in the coming year... \:D/
Stan are you the Axeman.

Jody
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

The Sunday snowstorm packed a bit more punch than expected. Probably over 12"-24" now on the ground above 11,500 feet with the snow level down to 8,000 in the San Juan's. However, the weather is supposed to be nice and sunny all week. It was 18 degrees at 9400 feet this morn. Brrrr. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

San Juan Ron wrote:The Sunday snowstorm packed a bit more punch than expected. Probably over 12"-24" now on the ground above 11,500 feet with the snow level down to 8,000 in the San Juan's. However, the weather is supposed to be nice and sunny all week. It was 18 degrees at 9400 feet this morn. Brrrr. SJ Ron :)
"Brrrr" is right! Looks like we picked the perfect time to hike Saturday! There was another couple heading up as we were on our way down in the afternoon. I think they were just doing Redcloud, but I hope they made it out ok. There was a drizzling rain at the trailhead just as I got back to my vehicle.