Own a piece of Mt Bross

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Own a piece of Mt Bross

Post by Jim Davies »

Once it's patented, a claim becomes private property, permanently.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

peter303 wrote:Mining claims expire if you dont pay an annual fee or do a $100 worth of work each year.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/iac/faqmc.html
That link seems to be specific to California....
I am not sure if BLM rules for CO are the same, but since BLM is federal, it seems like they should be.

As far as mining claims, I know people have built on them recently for non-mining purposes (in the San Juans). It seems like a different use than was originally considered with the mining claim laws to me.

on a related note, read this
http://www.preservationnation.org/magaz ... -pass.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20 ... -posterity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Does any one know the elevation of this property? Clearly, it's above timberline, but exactly how high up on Mt. Bross is it?
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

The position marked on Zillow corresponds to about 12,000'. Not sure about the elevation of the upper part of the property.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

14erFred wrote:Does any one know the elevation of this property? Clearly, it's above timberline, but exactly how high up on Mt. Bross is it?
According to the topographic base layer available behind the Park County GIS site (http://maps.parkco.us:3000/), the lowest point would be about 12,200 and the highest around 12,560. Parcel boundaries are also visible there - it's two 10 acre, longer than wide parcels next to each other. Road runs through the middle, and there are no (immediate) adjacent parcels.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

tlongpine wrote:http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/ho ... _zm/0_mmm/

20 acre lot priced at $45,000.
Now it's $50k. Either the seller is not serious, or there's a bidding war.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

jomagam wrote:
tlongpine wrote:http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/ho ... _zm/0_mmm/

20 acre lot priced at $45,000.
Now it's $50k. Either the seller is not serious, or there's a bidding war.
Or, they have caught on to this thread that is generating some interest....

This lot has been for sale at least since I ran through there in July, 2011. Seems as though it would be difficult and impractical to do much with it, but the views sure are good :) .
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Jeff Valliere wrote: This lot has been for sale at least since I ran through there in July, 2011. Seems as though it would be difficult and impractical to do much with it, but the views sure are good :) .
On one hand there is a road going thru it, so it might not be that hard to put up a log cabin (can anyone chime in on that?). On the other hand there is a road going thru it so you won't really have privacy.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

jomagam wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote: This lot has been for sale at least since I ran through there in July, 2011. Seems as though it would be difficult and impractical to do much with it, but the views sure are good :) .
On one hand there is a road going thru it, so it might not be that hard to put up a log cabin (can anyone chime in on that?). On the other hand there is a road going thru it so you won't really have privacy.
If I remember right, it is a pretty steep piece of property that would take a good bit of engineering/excavating to put a house on. The slopes directly above are even steeper, so would be prone to rockfall and perhaps even avalanches if snow conditions were right. Just seems like it would be more trouble than it is worth for most people. I don't think privacy would be an issue, as I don't think that road sees all that much traffic at that elevation (at least relative to the Kite Lake side).
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

For some reason (was there an older thread on this?), I had the impression that one would not be allowed to build on the site if purchased.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Doctor No wrote:For some reason (was there an older thread on this?), I had the impression that one would not be allowed to build on the site if purchased.
You're probably right considering that it's in an avi path. The Zillow description only suggests "Micro Home" on Wheels or a camper.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I'm pretty sure I could live there (alone, of course) as long as I could find a way to get 50Mbs internet service.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs